messenger

conrail 09:21 30 Sep 03

trying to get rid of messenger, I have edited the registry and downloaded the programme from click here yet messenger still apears, when I run the click here programme it tells me that messenger is not installed yet it keeps popping up. There is another option where I edit something using notepad, I put "HIDE" at the end of a line but cannot remember what this is, can someone help please, thanks

expertec 09:25 30 Sep 03

Downloaded what program from click where?

Jester2K II 09:25 30 Sep 03

To uninstall messenger, close internet explorer, MS outlook/Outlook Express and exit out of messenger.
-Now type (or copy and paste) the following into a run line (Start menu, Run):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and hit enter

This will easily uninstall messenger

Jester2K II 09:26 30 Sep 03

Or you could find and open the SYSOC.inf file found in C:\Windows\Inf (all .inf files are hidden by default so remember to unhide them first in the folder options of windows explorer. So open this file and look for this line: "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7" (without the quotes). Delete the 7 from the end of the line then save and close the file.

Then you can open the Add / Remove panel and uninstall Messenger this way. Incidentally this second method shows that other items normally hidden can be uninstalled as well by editing this file

conrail 09:50 30 Sep 03

thanks Jester2K II, the second 1 was the 1 I was thinging of, I also notice that there is the option in add/remove in control panel. I find messenger slows everything down and as I don't use the program why have it running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…