Messed up hard disk

bassbone 00:49 09 Apr 05

Having "played around" with linux and XP on my old win98 desktop I seem to have upset the hard disk! When I run FDISK from the win98 boot disk it shows only a primary partition of about 500mb, the disk is 40gb. Any ideas on how to reformat and get my disk back?

Night Ryder 01:19 09 Apr 05

You will have to do a low level format on your drive. Look on the internet for low level format software. If you know the model of your drive search for low level format for your drive model.
I did the same thing a while ago. Was the only woy I was able to get full the drive back. After you have done the low level format you will have to partition and format the drive in the normal way to use it again.

Night Ryder 01:20 09 Apr 05

You could also try to run the DOS command fdisk/MBR to restore the master boot record.

bassbone 12:59 10 Apr 05

Many thanks Night Ryder, thanks to you, some browsing, and digging out the disk that came with my hard disk all is now OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…