messages on new install XP

Storik 00:28 10 Sep 06

I have just reinstalled everything on my computer, although, as yet, have not attempted to activate my copy of Windows XP Home.

1) Please can someone tell me how to get rid of Windows Messenger - it will NOT go away. When I attempt to exit it and remove it from my computer, it tells me that other programs are using it and I should exit those first. ie. Outlook Express, and Microsoft Outlook.

2) I am getting "Messenger Service" messages which keep popping up whenever I am on the internet. I am highly suspicious of these - they are worded as follows:

"MESSAGE FROM SECURITY TO ALERT - time/date

STOP! SCAN CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS.

To fix this

1) Download Repair from click here
2) Install Registry Repair
3) Run Registry Repair
4) Reboot computer

FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION"

"MESSAGE FROM to TO - time/date

STOP WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. WINDOWS HAS FOUND 55 CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS.

To fix this

1) Download Registry Update from click here
2) Install Registry Update
3) Run Registry Update
4) Reboot computer.

FAILURE TO DO SO NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE."

Please can anyone help - these pop up messages are driving me crazy? I'm not sure they ARE genuine - in fact they are making me very uneasy and I'm sure they are some kind of scam.

Storic

User-312386 00:34 10 Sep 06

Have you updated to SP2? If not click here

To stop messenger Click Start>run and type msconfig Now click on startup tab and untick msmgs

Storik 00:39 10 Sep 06

Thanks a million - will now attempt to get rid of messenger - and with luck get rid of the pesky messages!

Angels wings coming your way. :-)

Storic

ACOLYTE 02:33 10 Sep 06

This should do the trick click here

Storik 10:06 11 Sep 06

Well I've tried everything above, and guess what, messenger is still sitting in the system tray with and X over it.

Trying to remove it from the system tray brings up a warning message that I cannot remove it because it is use by other applications.

I have used the Windows XP CD to remove it - and in theory it should not be on my computer at all - but of course it is.

The activation facility has disappeared - no warnings of how many days are left - it is not in the sytem tray or anywhere else it would seem. I have searched for it.

The computer constantly hangs and has to be rebooted.

I have Norton Internet Security 2006 on my computer, which I recently purchased and that seems to be working ok - everything coming up "good".

Now have an entirely different "home page", which I don't want and so, I suppose it is back to the drawing board and a complete reinstall yet again. - Incidentally using the "Restore" facility just brings back the messenger problem with dire messages.

Thanks for you help - will endeavour to let you know what happens - er if matron lets me out whilst I am still ranting and frothing at the mouth. :-)

Thanks a million - er I shall be back! fingers crossed.

Storic

Storik 10:19 11 Sep 06

Am ticking this as resolved for now - but will update whenever I can.

Storic

ACOLYTE 10:19 11 Sep 06

Sounds like somthing has got on your pc to alter things,did you click anything from the messenger spam you were getting?,The activation balloon will go if you activated if not it should still keep popping up.Messenger spam although it has the same name is not the same thing as MSN,it should be turned off as in the link i posted.You would be better of uninstalling MSN from add/remove rather than stopping it loading with msconfig.
I would try some other spyware/virus scans and see what they say.

HTH

rsturbo 10:27 11 Sep 06

start, run services.msc, ok, go to messenger, double click, and click stop and use drop down menu to disable, ok out, restart. but xp sp2 should do this anyway. agree - if it still there then you have a bug in system.

Storik 10:28 11 Sep 06

The first time I received these messages, whilst endeavouring to install BT dialup, I must have clicked ok - because the computer went berserk. Row upon row of "modem locks" appeared with flashing messages and an inability to to close the computer down because I couldn't hang on to the "shut down computer" facility.

Every other message was closed by X top left hand side.

Went back to system restore and started again - just closed all messages via X at top and they constantly popped up. Methinks you are right - everything must come off! A scan by Norton shows nothing amiss.

Thanks again! Ooooooooooo pigglesome computers!!!

Storic

Storik 10:31 11 Sep 06

Thanks - yes have tried that method and can only think of a complete reinstall to solve the problems.

Very much appreciate all the help I have received, will update when I can. :-)

Storic

ykzn 10:31 11 Sep 06

Hey Storik,

You can try the following:

1.Open this path in your windows : C:\WINDOWS\inf.

2.Search for the "sysoc" file. This file's icon looks like the icon of a notepad. (Note : ther are 2 files with the name sysoc, so, don't bother to open the "SYSOC.PNF" file.

3.Open the file and look for the line : msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

4.Now, this is why you can't see the useless windows messenger in the add/remove list undr control panel.

5.Ok, change the line from
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

to

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

6.Save before closing the file.

7.Go to add/remove optional windows components or something like that . There, you should see the messenger at the bottom. Uncheck the box.

8.click next and this thing should be gone from your computer!

Good Luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…