Message xfer from dead Outlook Express

Spock999 22:13 14 Feb 06

Hi folks,

I have just had a Windows XP problem which I could not recover from. Have installed XP Home on a new hard drive and I am trying to salvage files from the old drive.

How do I xfer my Outlook Express messages which are saved on the old drive to the new version of Outlook Express? I have serached and there are plenty of tools which will help you recover from OE corruptions but they seem to assume that it is within your current version of the XP not a dead one.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

VoG II 22:27 14 Feb 06
  VoG II 22:30 14 Feb 06
  VoG II 22:33 14 Feb 06
  VoG II 22:34 14 Feb 06
  Spock999 23:12 14 Feb 06

VoG,

Thanks. I have seen this sort of thing before but it does not gel with what I see when I look in Documents and Settings. I am OK up to Documents and Settings\User but there are no files strating Local settings etc.

This is true both for the dead version of XP and the live one.

Am I missing the point?

Longhouse 23:34 14 Feb 06

I don't use XP (running Me), but I think the principles of transfering messages is the same.

For OE (under Win Me) the messagea & folder structure, etc are stored under windows\application data\identities\{xxxx...xxx big nunber}\microsoft\outlook express as a series of .dbx files. I usually back these up on a regular basis and have used this back-up to recover my e-mails by importing via OE menu file\import\messages...similarly with the address book which (under Me) is stored at windows\microsoft\address book as a .wab file

If you can't find the files at the location I've indicated, try a file search using the the wild card *.dbx and *.wab

For Outlook I think messages are storeed as .pst files and the personal address book used to be .pab

Don't know an easy way to import message rules or account details...I always resort to setting them up manually

Hope this helps

Longhouse

Spock999 21:47 15 Feb 06

Thank you Longhouse & VoG. Problem now resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…