Message when backing up My Doc's

Skeletor 11:18 16 Apr 03

I am really trying to be a conscientious backer upper, and get to grips with the different ways, programs etc. But one annoying message keeps appearing every time I do a simple backup of "My Documents" to CD-RW. When I click "send to" and select "CD Drive" the following message appears, "The file "Thumbs" has extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file anyway?". I always click "yes". Is that right? Or should I click "skip"? I have had the odd problem when trying to re-install files and folders, maybe this is why.
Cheers

stlucia 14:07 16 Apr 03

So, what kind of file is "Thumbs"? Is it a Word document, does it use graphics, does it use data imported from, say, Exel?

I think you're quite safe clicking "Yes" -- you won't be losing anything from your HDD, but the backup might not contain whatever that "extra information" is, so if you ever have to do a restore you may be missing something.

Skeletor 15:06 16 Apr 03

Thanks stlucia,
The message title says "Confirm Stream Loss". Further down it says it's a "data base file". The same message crops up several times during backup. Bearing in mind it's a "my documents" folder, so it has in it all sorts of stuff.
Cheers

dth 17:06 16 Apr 03

nothing to worry about. for pictures win xp keeps a summary cache copy for thumbnails.

Skeletor 18:17 16 Apr 03

Thanks dth, So It's just the thumbnails that will be missing! Is there a way around that? If I have to do a complete reformat of the HDD then the cache will be lost.
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017