Message at shutdown - 2 PCs connected

Griffin 08:35 18 Aug 03

Hi
Last night when shutting down my PC, a message appeared with words to the effect 'there are 2 pcs connected to your computer, if you shut down now, they will be disconnected, do you want to shutdown'.
I have never had this before and worried about it for ages in case I had been hacked.
I have low to moderate pc knowledge, does anyone know what has happened?
Thanks
Kay

AndySD 09:22 18 Aug 03

Hi

I am assuming you are on XP and the pc is not connected to a network.

First ....do you have a virus checker and a firewall? (click here for a free firewall)

Now go Start, and then click My Computer. Under Other Places, click My Network Places. Click the link for View network connections. Can you tell us how many connections you have here and their names.

Also can you please download and run the 30day free trial of The Cleaner click here just as an extra check.

TechMad 09:50 18 Aug 03

Use ZoneAlarm. Its a firewall that can be downloaded from click here . Beware though its about 3.5MB in size, so you may have to wait 20 minutes approx on a realistic connection with a 56k modem. It will intercept any incoming messages and flag up anyone attempting to access your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…