Message for the Forum Editor Peter Thomas

Michendi 18:32 28 Jul 05

Hello Peter

The persistent intrusion by your advertising service provider adserver.adtech.de is extremely annoying.

Is there any possibility that you could use another provider or ask adserver.adtech.de to be less intrusive.

Great magazine (to which I have subscribed for many years) and an excellent forum which is supported by some of the smartest and most helpful techies on this planet. Now if only we can make the advertising bit less annoying :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 28 Jul 05

Unfortunately there is nothing for free in this day and age.

If we want an advice someone is going to have to pay for it. at the moment that someone is the advertisers.

To keep this site free for own own use then we will have to put up with the avertisements.

The WORTH I get from this site is well worth putting up with the adverts.

Then again I use firefox and a plugin called Adblock which cuts them down a bit.

€dstowe 18:54 28 Jul 05

I also use Firefox with the Adblock plugin.

I am little troubled by adverts or the green hot links that (for me) plague the forum on IE.

dogbreath1 19:00 28 Jul 05

...what adverts? ;-)) I'm with €dstowe.

Stuartli 19:01 28 Jul 05

Perhaps it would have been more discreet to have e-mailed the Forum Editor direct?

I'm sure you would have had a similar, equally discreet response explaining the PCA website advertising policy.

There's no such thing as a free lunch...:-)

octal 19:21 28 Jul 05

I used to block all manner of things on this site. But having a think about it, the advertising on this site is its "bread and butter" I'm not sure how the advertising on this site works specifically, but I know a lot of sites work on pay per click. On that basis I don't block anything on this site anymore but click away like made hopefully making PCA lots of money to keep the site up and running.

What happens if the advertisers get wind of everyone blocking the adverts? No adverts=no income=no PCA

Don't forget its free to use, so suffering a few adverts is fine by me.

Suskia 19:24 28 Jul 05

This site
click here

Is completely free and has no advertising, and by the size of it, it is not a free (ISP) site.
regards
Butch Cassidy

stalion 19:36 28 Jul 05

yes ok how many members has it got asking for help?

seedie 19:39 28 Jul 05

what you need is a hosts file

Stuartli 19:51 28 Jul 05

Whether the website you mention is free and has no advertising or not is irrelevant - there are literally thousands of similar websites run by enthusiastic people.

A commercial website is an entirely different kettle of fish and costs a considerable sum annually to run and maintain.

Stuartli 19:54 28 Jul 05

I would also read the two pages on this website through the link: "A list of visitors breaking my terms and conditions".

It might proved somewhat revealing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…