nochanceangel 20:29 07 Dec 03

I get the message failed to find modem.
How do I get my software to find it???

plsndrs3 20:54 07 Dec 03

As you have not posted your Operating System, I'll assume you're using 95 or XP. Try checking the modem [Control Panel>System>Hardware TAB>Device Manager Properties>Modem]. Is the modem listed - possibly with a yellow exclamation mark?

If so, you need to remove this & resubmit. If not, we need to consider other propbabilities.

Regards,

Paul

angelwings 21:01 07 Dec 03

I think it is Windows 95 (not mine my fathers)I have already done that for him and his modem does not appear under modems. When I try to find it, search for it, It says "failed to find modem"

plsndrs3 21:05 07 Dec 03

Thank you. I appreciate that you are [obviously] not on the PC now.

Have you tried the 'add new hardware' wizard oin the control panel, in case it can find it?

Paul

angelwings 21:08 07 Dec 03

If I 'add new hardware' it says something along the lines of 'no new hardware found'

AJ

angelwings 21:13 07 Dec 03

Just to let you know a bit more. He has had the hardrive in bits and checked all the boards and electrics, we even put one of the boards in mine to see if it would be detected which my computer did and asked if I wanted to install the new hardware. When we put it back in his it still coundn't find any new hardware.

Hope that makes sense.

AJ

plsndrs3 21:21 07 Dec 03

When you say that boards were put into your PC, do you mean the modem? Any other boards swithed over? Why was the harddrive in bits [I assume you mean simply disconnected - rather than unscrewed]? If so, just to make sure that I understand your posting correctly, are you saying that your PC was able to detect it ....

Paul

angelwings 21:27 07 Dec 03

Ok! Yes he had the hardrive in bits. Only the modem was taken out. Worked in my machine. Put it back in his, didn't detect new hardware!!!

AJ

plsndrs3 21:44 07 Dec 03

Getting somewhere now, although I don't like where I think that this will end. I assume that the hard drive is now OK other than the modem issue. The modem, too, is clearly OK, otherwise your own PC would not have detected it. That leaves the only possibility that I know of: the board contacts that this pushes into are damaged or the board itself is. Either way - unless there is something obvious however unlikely on the board [bent contact, clutter stopping electrical connection] the only way forward is to replace the internal board or get an external modem. Out of the 2, the second is probably your better option as I was talking about the same thing for my daughter. These start at around £30 and your connection speeds are relatively higher & more stable.

Sorry, but these are the only things I now know - unless another member wants to pick up on something that I missed?

Paul

angelwings 21:52 07 Dec 03

I'm going to have one more go when I go round tomorrow and if that doesn't work then he'll have to get an external modem. I thought that would be best as he has had problems with it before.

Thanks for the help

AJ

curlylad 23:33 07 Dec 03

Have you checked if the cable from the modem to the telephone socket is working ok ?
Check to see if your modem is communicating at all with your PC :- 'Start' select 'Programs' select 'Accessories' select 'Communications' and then select 'HyperTerminal'When the Hyperterminal window opens select 'Hypertrm.exe'.When the connection description dialog box appears , click 'Cancel' you should now be at the main Hperterminal window in manual mode.Type 'AT' and press 'Enter'. If you get no response , you have a hardware problem.If you receive an Ok message , your modem is working , if this is the case then post back for further instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…