Message at bootup re: cpu

watty4 17:06 31 Aug 05

Can anyone tell me why I get this message during the bootup stage.`cpu is unworkable or has been changed.Please recheck-cpu soft menu`I haven`t removed it or changed it. I then get asked to press F1 to continue, then everything comes up as normal.

Aspman 17:08 31 Aug 05

Your bios battery possibly is on its way out or has lost charge by being switched off for a long time.

You will need to re-enter the CPU settings in the bios. I can't tell you what these could be without knowing what your CPU is but it is usually quite straightforward.

Gongoozler 17:19 31 Aug 05

I recently fixed a computer with a similar problem. I suspected a BIOS problem, but the cause was a dodgy stick of memory.

watty4 17:23 31 Aug 05

Thanks for that , I`ll try replacing the battery, the pc is on every day, but I`ve never changed the battery and the motherboard is a few years old now.

watty4 17:28 31 Aug 05

Yes, the memory had occurred to me aswell, I am having serious problems using proshow gold,music keeps jumping, slideshows flicker too much.Is there anyway you can check if you have a dodgy memory stick?
I thought if I solved the cpu message that might make proshow gold work ok.I`ll try any suggestions!!

watty4 17:42 31 Aug 05

I`ve decided to change my memory cards, as they are relatively cheap, and see how it goes.Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…