Mesh Matrix & support, both very poor, help please

grumpy-git 00:29 13 Sep 04

I have a 2 month old Mesh Matrix 64 3000FX. It seems to crash now on a daily basis, even doing simple tasks like copying files from dvd to a hard drive. If you think you know the answer to my problems, skip through my moans & groans and just " make me happy", please?

2 weeks ago it crashed - Windows/system32/config/system missing or corrupt. Support did not impress me one bit in their attempts to try & fix the problem, and their e-mail responses are slow.

The in-built recovery procedures failed and a fresh installation of Windows was required, and I lost all my data off the c drive. Fortunately I keep backups of most of the data on the d drive, but as the software and data were being installed "carefully" to have a well organised and problem free machine, it was still in the setup stages and not in regular use, so a full backup routine had not been started.

In theory it is now a fully working machine again, Windows re-installed, Service Pack 1 installed, but very little else, and certainly no extra peripherals. So why does it keep crashing? Since the Windows reload it has not been connected to the internet, and as the c drive was formatted it should be virus free.

Also today it has refused to hibernate, that never was a problem before, it just says "preparing to hibernate", then the message disappears & the machine continues to run. Before the big "fatal" Windows crash 2 weeks ago, it sometimes crashed coming out of hibernation, so I don't think it has ever been a healthy machine.

There are other issues not to do with the machine problems, such as a missing connector for the "tv out" socket (which I have still not received) and drivers such as those for the motherboard not supplied with the pc, also I had to find my own Service Pack 1, as that is not included with the supplied software.

I have had to make at least 6 calls to the pound a minute support line, costing about 30 quid so far, and that is a rip off as I wasn't even given correct information and told to look for disk drivers on the internet. Getting real help from Mesh is as difficult as trying to get blood from a stone. Perhaps the pound a minute support line is another way to make a quick buck out of the poor punters.

Over the past week I have written snail-mail to the "managing director", that was the person I asked the name of - but got no reply. Then I wrote to the general manager, asking for him to ring me, he didn't ring, but apparently has referred my problem to technical, perhaps coming from him it might have more weight. I mean - who am, I just a customer!! I was told over a week ago somebody from technical would ring me in response to my e-mails, but they haven't.

So, there you go, a sad pc with a sad owner. I will update this topic if & when technical ever ring me, and let you all know the outcome. Remember, a message from "Davey" (if I get one) asking me to contact Mesh does not mean the problem is solved!!!

pc moron 00:46 13 Sep 04

It seems you have several issues with this PC and I doubt the Helproom will be able to sort them.

You'd be better off posting in the ConsumerWatch Forum- Mesh have a contact there (Davey)- I see you've heard of him.

The last PC I purchased was from Mesh and I had problems with their so-called Customer Support.

I got nowhere and fixed it myself in the end- cost me £60.

Suffice to say- Mesh- never again.

grumpy-git 07:52 13 Sep 04

Followed your suggestion & posted in the other Forum - thanks.

Only mesh can make amends for their shoddy service & machine, but if anybody else has any ideas - let me know, you will possibly answer sooner & more reliably than Mesh

rawprawn 08:32 13 Sep 04
  gunner-joe 18:17 16 Sep 04

I am not fully aware of the situation, but from your description you should be a lot more protected. I believe that if I had your problems I would be consulting my credit card company and would demand recompense. I hope you are protected
and wish you luck.

grumpy-git 00:39 17 Sep 04

Things are moving nicely at the moment, after moving the topic to ConsumerWatch Forum "Davey" got involved, and the pc has gone back to Mesh for investigation. Can't say fairer than that at the moment.

"G-G"

stalion 00:48 17 Sep 04

Let's hope they give you a new computer for all your inconvenience.Regards

grumpy-git 01:06 17 Sep 04

stalion, I don't care, just as long as it works, that's all that matters.

Don't think I will ever get the same satisfaction from it as I would have done if it had worked perfectly first time though. When you've spent literally days loading in 50,000+ images and organising them just how you want them, then have to copy them all again before sending the pc back - it becomes a chore. Never had the pc long enough to network it, thank goodness for dvd-rw's otherwise I would still be loading in cd-rw's.

"G-G"

gunner-joe 11:48 17 Sep 04

Pleased to see you are getting the attention you at least deserve as a customer! Hope they sort you out, and that you end up with the product you were lead to believe you were buying in the first place.

grimerking 14:31 17 Sep 04

How much RAM is in your PC? Do you have two "sticks"? I had a very similar problem that took me ages to diagnose. PC would work fine most of the time but crash randomly and fail to install softwre from CD's etc.

It turned out the second stick of RAM was dodgy. One way to diagnose the problem is to remove both sticks of RAM and move the stick that was in the second slot (furthest away from the CPU) to the slot nearest the CPU. Reboot with just this stick of RAM. If it doesn't boot, then you have almost certainly found the problem.

Rob

grumpy-git 23:36 21 Oct 04

Rob,

Sorry I did not reply before, but I was "keeping quiet" while I let Mesh carry on with solving the problems. It went back to Mesh for repair, and they led me to believe it was a memory problem. Trouble was it still wasn't right when I got it back, and an engineer was sent out to, yes, you guessed it - replace the memory (again?)

Now I am waiting for it to be collected & replaced.

If I ever get a working pc from Mesh and it develops further faults, I'll come to you first, you'll probably diagnose the problem for me before Mesh does!!

G-G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…