Mesh Explorer Laptop won't start (Please Help!!!!)

*Gary* 09:12 13 Jan 03
  *Gary* 09:12 13 Jan 03

I bought a Mesh Explorer laptop 15.1" with

Pentium 4 Processor 2.2 Ghz,
512 mb Ram,
40 Gb Hard Drive,
64 mb Radeon 7500 Graphics Card....
in August 2002 which was working okay before, but now it doesnt work at all. I don't know what has happened. I am currently living in Germany at the moment, but i was told by the sales assistant that using a foreign power source wouldn't be a problem.
Anyway, the laptop was plugged into the mains (which is protected by a surge protected power adaptor) and was working fine, i left the room for a couple of minutes, then when i came back the screen was blank. What i also noticed was that the charger was not working (because usually the green led is on and i can hear the sound of it working but there was nothing). After continuously trying to get the laptop to work i noticed that when the charger is disconnected from the laptop it works fine but when connected to the laptop it stops working (i don't know if that means anything?).
Anyway i would be really grateful if anybody knows whats wrong with the laptop as its not that easy just to send it to Mesh Computers in England and after paying over £1600 i would like to be able to use it.
Thanks a lot!

Lú-tzé 10:07 13 Jan 03

"when the charger is disconnected from the laptop it works fine" - what works fine - charger or laptop?

Does the laptop work on batteries?

Take out the battery and see if the laptop works on the power supply only.

Check the fuse in the power supply plug.

Check the adaptor between three pin (uk) and two pin (Germany) power.

Just a few quick thoughts - hope they are of some help.

*Gary* 10:23 13 Jan 03

Erm sorry, i meant when the charger is disconnected from the laptop the charger works fine!
The charger doesn't work on mains power and doesn't work when i try to just use the rechargable battery!

*Gary* 10:25 13 Jan 03

I mean the LAPTOP doesn't work on 'mains power' and doesn't work when i try to just use the power from the 'rechargable battery'!
Is it safe to try the laptop using the mains power supply without having the battery in?

Lú-tzé 14:29 13 Jan 03

*Gary* asked: "Is it safe to try the laptop using the mains power supply without having the battery in?"

- yes, as far as I know. I read somewhere in these pages that a non-working battery can prevent a machine from starting on mains power. Worth a try at least.

wee eddie 22:14 13 Jan 03

By charger, I assume that you mean the AC adaptor, which may have a current-on LED. Is this suitable for Germany's voltage and have you connected correctly to the mains?

Check with the Manual and see where the Charging Lights are, and this will tell you if the battery is charging. If the battery is being charged, but not holding the charge, then it is faulty.

*Gary* 20:52 14 Jan 03

Thanks for the replies! I have connected the AC adaptor correctly to the mains, the sales assistant said that the AC adaptor will automatically detect and adjust to the different voltage.
In the manual itself it says that the AC adaptor uses voltages from 100 to 240 volts (which is okay for Germany) and that i don't need to use a 2nd voltage adaptor.
When i charge the laptop none of the lights come on at all so i don't know if the battery is being charged.
At the moment i am not at home to try the laptop without the battery inside.

Thanks for the comments so far, are there any other suggestions?

*Gary* 21:26 14 Jan 03

I have just tried the laptop using only the AC adaptor (without the battery inside!!) but it still doesn't work. Any Ideas?

woodchip 21:40 14 Jan 03

Look's like you will have to return it

*Gary* 22:26 14 Jan 03

I can't believe it! I bought this laptop because I wanted to have a computer out here in Germany to use and do my uni work on. If i had known that i would have all these problems then i would have bought a laptop from another company. I mean I know that no company is perfect and i haven't had many problems with the first computer i bought from Mesh, but I have spent over £3,000 in the last two years with Mesh and look where customer loyalty has got me. Thanks a lot Mesh so now i have got to send it back to you and then i have got to sort out getting it sent back out here to me from the UK because i was told that you can only send it back out to customers living within the UK. Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced