Mesh Computer Recommendations..

CraigC 11:39 28 Jul 03

You never know your luck.

Has anyone considered or indeed bought the following PC from Mesh Computers. I just wanted to get some views on this model:

Matrix 2700 Premier
Athlon XP 2700+ Processor
512MB PC2700 DDR Memory
128MB GeForce FX5200
19" Mitsubishi Pro Monitor

Link is below if you are interested:
click here

It has recieved rave reviews in Computer Active magazine and I am very tempted.

Please let me know if you have been tempted by the same spec or have bought a similar PC from Mesh....

Kind Regards
Craig

I have a 2 month old Mesh 2500, slightly smaller processor but 512MB and it runs great. Did have trouble with the CDRW but it was replaced on site. I upgraded to a Sharp 17in TFT screen which is superb. The only thing I dont like is the tower case. For the money, nothing else seemed to come near it.

CraigC 12:16 28 Jul 03

Thanks for that. Do you get one well reading the text on the TFT screen? I have always found them a bit difficult for reading text - I do a lot of typing...

Andsome 12:42 28 Jul 03
  CraigC 12:53 28 Jul 03

Thanks Andsome,

that kind of reading (you provided in the links) makes gives me stomac feel sick before parting with £1000! I can't believe the problems so many people have with online retailers. I know some people never experience this, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk. At least if I buy an overpriced PC at John Lewis I can take it back immediately if there is a problem. With Mesh etc, there is no shop, no face to complain to....

back to the drawing board...
makes you wonder why the magazines are so head over heels to recommend these retailers.....

bremner 14:51 28 Jul 03

I know some people never experience this.....

Only a very small vocal minority do and it is sometimes the case that their problems are self inflicted..... but it is always the fault of the supplier anyway.

Andsome 15:25 28 Jul 03

Don't be in too much of a hurry. Ask around about your local shops, and discuss your requirements with a recommended one. You will not be seduced by so called FREE EXTRAS, remember that NOTHING is free. You will get only what you have decided between you is what you actually require for your needs. You will almost certainly get delivery within the week. Any problems just pop back in and discuss the matter with them. You can see from all the postings, what problems people have with premium rate so called helplines, waiting in for repair men who do not arrive, always assuming that the manufacturer will even agree to honour their obligations under SO CALLED on site warranties. There are even case where in answer to a request for an onsite warranty to be honoured, people have been sent replacement components and asked to fit them themselves. I followed my own recommendations in January with a local shop in Burntwood Staffordshire. The computer was delivered eight days after ordering. Everything was install and set up in my home, and the proprietor spent an hour with me. Try getting that kind of service from a large manufacturer. I was presented with an itemised bill, and when I checked the retail prices out, I found that I had been charged recommended prices for each item, with nothing extra for construction.

CraigC 16:12 28 Jul 03

Andsome,

glad to hear your good story. I have tried a few local PC shops, but they do not seem very knowledgable, will keep trying. Did try PC world but the hard sell just made me run out of the store.

thanks again for your advice.

If anyone can recommend a local PC shop in Southwest London (around Richmond) please SHOUT

thanks
Craig

bremner 19:46 28 Jul 03

I have used a shop called Digitech which is virtually opposite the old Putney Police Station on Upper Richmond Road in Putney. It has been there for some time, the staff are aways very helpful and seem knowledgeable. With colleagues we have used them regularly for repairs and upgrades and their prices have been competative.

Maybe worth a visit

CraigC 09:27 29 Jul 03

thanks for that bremnert, I'll check them out. Shame they don't have a web presence....

regards
Craig

CraigC 13:17 04 Aug 03

After a lot of deliberation I have decided to go with Mesh, but thanks for everyones help.

I spoke to a chap at Mesh who was extreemly positive. Regarding warranties, I explained my nervousness after all the reviews I'd read and he said categorically that "we will always come on site to fix a problem and if it cannot be fixed then the engineer will take it away", I repeated "always" and so did he. He also told me that the helpline was national rate and gave me his name if I get any problems with the support etc.

Lets hope it wasn't his last day :-)
Again thanks for all your help and advice on this great forum...

Craig

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…