Mesh computer m5289 problems

b16mts 12:04 22 Feb 09

Hi,

sorry if this may end as a long post, but i have a problem with my pc, and guess the best way to resolve it is to be a descriptive as possible.

i think i may have fubar'd my pc. on friday 13th my virus software popped up saying it had blocked a trojan. after doin this a few times i decided to run a virus scan and get rid of it. it was found, then put in quarantine by the software, so i then deleted the file to completely get rid of the problem.

at the end of the day i shut down the pc as normal. Now it will not reboot atall!! i'm operating windows XP, and when it gets to the black screen that says "windows XP" with a little blue "nightrider" style bar going accross, after a few sweeps accross it stops, then the whole thing shuts off, and it starts up again.

i've tried booting in safe mode, and also in "last known working configuration", both with exactly the same result. The only thing i remember about the trojan is it had something to do with winexplore in the title if that helps.

I then restarted in safe mode with file path info and found it stopped on mup.sys. did some research and found this is probably not the issue, but what comes after mup.sys

so then i found my MESH recovery disk, with the idea of booting from that into recovery mode, but it wouldn't work either.

i have followed some IT advice i found online and have reinstalled inwdows xp in parrallel with the existing intall in a new folder called winxp. i had to do this as i got no recovery option. apparently because my pc has a sata harddrive and it could not find any existing install.

anywho, i can now start the pc, though its a "clean install" as such, and the fonts are huge etc. obviously when starting i have the choice of two boot options, though both are xp.

the good news is everything is still there, so now i need to know how to move stuff across.

my logical mind says it would be easier to fix the origonal windows folder in the long run, so long as someone know what i might need to copy over from my new winxp folder to the origonal windows folder.

any suggestions on how to do all this?

cheers,

Martin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:09 22 Feb 09

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

b16mts 12:19 22 Feb 09

the problem is that i do not get the R for recovery console option when booting from the cd, as i don't think its a proper xp cd, its the mesh recovery one that is known to not work properly as it doesn't have all the relevant drivers.

martin

b16mts 12:33 22 Feb 09

yeah just tried to do what you said, and it didn't even seem to recognise that windows is already installed on it, even though it is now infact installed twice.

tbh if there was a way i could kinda merge the info on the 2 installations that'd be great. as i have one that has all my files, drivers etc, but it won't boot, and the other that wil boot, but has nothing running (though i can see everything on the c drive)

cheers,

Martin

Poitier 15:02 22 Feb 09

Hi,With Mesh computers there is often an F10 option to restore to factory condition (tap on boot) you lose data not backedup.The recovery disk only includes the chipset drivers and you have to install video,sound,usb from the backup from the 'Drivers' folder.The disk does have a repair funtion but you should be able to access the Recovery Console.

b16mts 16:52 22 Feb 09

i definalty don't want to restore to factory settings.

as i say its so frustrating cos now i can see everything that's on the c drive, but it doesn't work with the new install.

if i knew what to copy from where to where, i'm sure it'd be fine.

Martin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 22 Feb 09

You can copy across data but not installed programs

i.e. all your emails will be dbx files
copy MY docs from old profile to new profile.

b16mts 17:50 22 Feb 09

but on the new install i have no internet, no virus stuff, no drivers of any sort. it just looks like a brand new set-up, rather than one thats been used and added to every day for the last 3 years.

upon other advice i have contacted a guy called davey at mesh who is apparently very handy at such issues. was there not a mesh computers forum once?

martin

Poitier 19:39 22 Feb 09

hi,
As I said before you have to install the drivers from the backup that you should have made of the 'Drivers' folder. I expext Davey will tell you that. The Mesh forum is found under Support/Owners Club on the Mesh Web Site..If you have not got a backup they have to be downloaded from the manufacturer of each piece of hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now