MESH Computer with 18 inch NEC-1860NX TFT

Boluwd 15:03 10 Sep 03

I'm evaluating various options for a replacement PC. I need to replace my 3 year old Mesh and I like the look/value of the Matrix 2600+Premier (Computer Buyer Best Buy) with an upgrade to 3000+XP Athlon and an Audigy 2 ZS card and 19" Mitsubishi DPRO 930 CRT. Total price with del+vat of £1160.90. I have been very happy with my old Diamond PRO 710 (17") but it does take a up lot of space on my desk and therefore the 19 incher will be even bigger! I am therefore considering an upgrade to a 18 inch NEC-1860NX TFT ( about an extra £150 on top). Has anyone any experience of this model or indeed can review the Matrix Premier package? I want to be able to enjoy my Colin McRae Rally and Grand Prix 4 at a decent speed. (currently got a 650MHz Athlon Slot A and a good old Voodoo 3 3000 16MB card (optimized of course! with Omega drivers!!!)The new Matrix is an MSI FX 5600 Personal cinema 128 MB card.
I have looked at the NEC page and see that it has a 30ms refresh. Is this too low for decent gaming without ghosting? I've read with interest your responses to Bodi's earlier thread. Do I really need to spend an extra £150 to have more room on my desk, will gaming be a dead loss on TFT? What's it to be, gang??

Djohn 15:11 10 Sep 03

I don't play many games, so difficult for me to advise on that aspect.I can say that the few I do play plus all DVD movies are perfect on my TFT, [17"AOC]. Also the "Mad-onion" 3D mark graphic test is handled with absolute ease. No ghosting at all. Regards. j.

Boluwd 16:30 10 Sep 03

Thanks Dj. They also do a Sharp 17 inch TFT for a £100 less, don't know which model it is tho'

Boluwd 22:25 10 Sep 03

Anybody else got any opinions on this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…