Mesh 64bit freeze up faults

rabadubdub 23:09 23 Jan 07

Hi, I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who can't get online right now..

Mesh Matrix 3000+, AMD Athlon 64 3000+ psu, K8V_MX micro ATX Mboard, ATI Radeon9550 tvout/dvi grafix card 128MB, AudigyZS soundcard, 1256MB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 200GB HDD, VIA Rhine11 Ethernet onboard nic, Sony SDM S94D 19” Monitor. Logitech USB mouse.
Purchase Sept 2004. 3y RTB wty.

Continual problems…
Ran ok for about 6months, then started freezing, failing to start, failing to find HDD, switching boot-order, switching bios… always halting start up after locating VIA Rhine NIC at searching for DHCP….¦

Sent HDD (Maxtor) back to Mesh and got replacement HDD (same type).
Worked ok for a couple of months at most then, repeat of original problems.

Sent whole computer box back to Mesh – came back “working fine now”..according to Mesh.
Worked for about 6days before more problems… exact same problems showed up.

Each time we tried F10 and eventually the Recovery Disk Mesh supplied, with no success.
Had the local computer shop look at it, did a complete reinstall, but still the same problems persisted with starting up and halting at same place after a couple of weeks.

After speaking to Mesh again, sent back the 2nd Maxtor HDD and received the Seagate Barracuda as replacement.
It worked for a few weeks too and now opens then freezes after a couple of mouse-clicks, and must be shut down by power-off button or restart. –Scandisk doesn’t kick in like expected after this abnormal shutdown, for some reason.

My friend has lost business info, tax records, and any training time he was hoping to put in thanks to only getting about 9 months up-time out of the 27 months he's had it, and he'd rather get a refund and buy a computer elsewhere, so this post may yet end up in the Consumerwatch forum. We never got a response from the Mesh Support guy when the original problems surfaced.. See the original post click here

Any help offered will be much appreciated, thanks.

Rab

johnnyrocker 23:21 23 Jan 07

suggest you write to max sherafati at the london nw2 address he is mr mesh.

johnny.

rabadubdub 04:06 24 Jan 07

Thanks, Johnny, for the suggestion, may have to do that.
He is currently waiting on return-labels from Mesh, to send the whole thing off.
I've been checking out the Mesh website, and have to say it is not too impressive for such a big company. You can't look up specific hardware without logging in, and so no mention of any issues with any soft/hardware in the limited FAQs that are available. I don't understand why it's needed.. why hide their wares?

I did check out the ASUS motherboard site, which is lightyears better, and I was at least able to get a motherboard Manual (which Mesh don't supply) and updated Mboard drivers (which Mesh don't supply) without the hoops needing jumped through.

It wasn't a particularly cheap system in the first place at £1200 inc s/w, so it would be nice if the problems could be fixed without having to spend £40+ several times on postage before getting the matter resolved.
Anyone who could help, I'd be glad to hear from, thanks.

Rab

PS. FE-could you fix it so I don't get logged out while typing a reply please? That's twice already in two posts.

vinnyT 06:13 24 Jan 07

Rab if you go to the top of this page and click on your name, on the page it takes you to is a box 'Keep me logged in on this computer (unless I log out)*.', tick this and you should remain logged in.

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 06:14 24 Jan 07

Sorry, after you've ticked the box you have to click the 'update details' button.

rabadubdub 12:14 24 Jan 07

Thanks Vinny, useful to know.

Rab

rabadubdub 21:33 24 Jan 07

I had a further sniff around the Motherboard site and came across the possibility of Bios not supporting CPU ..for symptoms of booting up with display on and No beep faults ..'though after a few mouse clicks it beeps when it freezes on the last click.
Apparently the Athlon64 3000 wasn't supported by the Bios (though it was by the Mboard?) until the Bios released date 2005/9/23 - a year after it was bought. Need to get Des to check the date of the one installed as they may have updated it when the machine went back last year - though I doubt it.
It seems a bit disingenuous to say the Mboard supported it, but not the bios, when you consider the Bios is ON the mboard. The Mboard is a dual 32/64bit capable according to Asustek, so it may just be for the XP64 that the bios fix is needed.
All will be revealed, soon, I hope..
Meanwhile, anyone know any more about the probs, I'd be glad of your input.

Forgot to mention in spec's above that HDD is SATA.

Thanks,
Rab

rabadubdub 20:26 29 Jan 07

I just did a Helproom search for "Mesh" - to save me signing in - and got 48 hits dating back to November - but not this one among them. Very strange..

However, since I'm signed in now, any current viewers got any ideas about the Mesh start problems?
Thanks,

Rab

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:03 29 Jan 07

Works for a few weks /months then freezes sounds like he is picking up a virus or over fillling the drive.

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use
Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment.

7. a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

8) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

rodriguez 22:25 29 Jan 07

"then started freezing, failing to start, failing to find HDD, switching boot-order, switching bios…" - these seem to point to the motherboard, the fact that your BIOS doesn't support your processor could be the cause. When you say you updated the motherboard drivers, was this done through Windows or did you actually boot up a disc that flashed the BIOS with a new version? You can check your BIOS date by pressing the Pause/Break key just as the PC starts up with the Energy Star logo, it will be on the screen (usually near the top). If you still have an older version, you could try going to the Asus website and downloading the latest BIOS version. click here, and type in K8V-MX in the Input Model to Search box and then select BIOS from the category menu. Click the K8V-MX link and then download the BIOS Utility at the top, then the updated BIOS version underneath it.

rabadubdub 22:25 29 Jan 07

He has MacAfee installed.
Solutions from within OS are out as can't get past two mouse-clicks..
System temperatures and voltages are fine from BIOS, and it matters not how long it's been cold - just wont get past the opening bit.
We have swapped memory about - 3 different sticks - to no joy.

Thanks for your input, as ever FB.

Rab

ps no response from Mesh yet, though I did email Davey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant