Merging Workbooks in Excel

Dirty Dick 21:51 12 Jun 05

I'm struggling to merge two workbooks in XL. I've names and addresses on two workbooks, one is more up to date than the other but not all has changed. When I follow the instuctions in HELP on Excel, it tells me to click on TOOLS then "Compare & Merge workbooks" but that option is graeyed out. Can anyone help please

Thanks

DD

VoG II 21:56 12 Jun 05

Do you have both workbooks open when you try this?

Dirty Dick 21:59 12 Jun 05

Both Workbooks are open at the same time.

VoG II 22:06 12 Jun 05

The workbooks have to be shared - are they?

Dirty Dick 22:17 12 Jun 05

The workbooks are NOW shared,and saved in a folder in my desktop.
However, when I try to merge, a dialogue box pops up, and tells me that Excel could not merge the 2 workbooks, and also the changes must be saved for a reasonable time ??

VoG II 22:29 12 Jun 05

Save them, exit Excel and then try again.

Dirty Dick 22:40 12 Jun 05

I've saved both books,and exited XL, then re-opened and still getting the same message.

I've also SAVED AS different name, ans still no joy

VoG II 22:50 12 Jun 05

Sorry, I dont know then.

Dirty Dick 22:52 12 Jun 05

Thanks for your patience. I'm off to bed now, up early tomorrow, but I'll be having a good session with it tomorrow.

Again, Thanks

Dirty Dick 12:28 13 Jun 05

I've shared the 2 workbooks I want to merge, and saved them to a folder on my desktop. I've even made copies of them nad give them a different name, from the originals. When they are shared the option under TOOLS is no longer greyed out, but when I click on this option it says the workbook will be saved. Then when I click TOOLS > COMPARE & MERGE WORKBOOKS, a dailogue box pops up saying:-

" Cannot be merged into the current workbook.Workbooks must be copies made from the same shared workbook, And must maintain the change history for a sufficient amount of time"

Any Help Please

DD

VoG II 12:53 13 Jun 05

From the Help in Excel 2003

Troubleshoot merging workbooks
Show All
Hide All
The workbooks I want to combine won't merge.

Requirements for merging

Both workbooks must meet the following requirements:

Be copies of the same workbook, which must have been a shared workbook (shared workbook: A workbook set up to allow multiple users on a network to view and make changes at the same time. Each user who saves the workbook sees the changes made by other users.).

Have different file names.

Either not have passwords (password: A way to restrict access to a workbook, worksheet, or part of a worksheet. Excel passwords can be up to 255 letters, numbers, spaces, and symbols. You must type uppercase and lowercase letters correctly when you set and enter passwords.), or both have the same password.

Have change tracking in effect continuously from when the copies were made.

Keep change history (change history: In a shared workbook, information that is maintained about changes made in past editing sessions. The information includes the name of the person who made each change, when the change was made, and what data was changed.) back at least as far as the date when the copies were made.
For example, if the change history is being kept in the workbooks for 30 days, and the copies were made 45 days ago, you can no longer merge the workbooks.

Plan ahead for later merging When you turn on change tracking but aren't sure when you'll merge the workbooks, set a large number of days for the history, up to the maximum of 32,767 days.

Merge changes manually If the workbooks still won't merge, you can incorporate the information from one workbook into another manually, by copying and pasting from one workbook to another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…