Merging Drive Partitions

Gary 16:58 02 Mar 03

My hard drive is partitioned into C: and D:. When I had Windows 98, I kept all my Documents on Drive D and system files and programs on C. However, Windows XP will not allow me to move the Documents and Settings folder onto drive D from the default drive C.

To get around this I want to change the partitioning of the drive so that C: and D: appear as one again - just called c:. Is there any way to merge the two together (D: is blank) without having to reformat and reinstall everything that is on C?

(I am using WinXP Pro).

Thanks in advance,
Gary

howard60 17:54 02 Mar 03

from xp but there is nothing stopping you setting up another my documents folder on the d: drive. Then just make sure that you point to that one when you save.

jazzypop 18:27 02 Mar 03

Have you tried setting a new My Documents folder on D:, then right-clicking your existing My Documents folder, choose Properties, and point it at the new folder on Drive D:?

jazzypop 18:29 02 Mar 03

If that doesn't suit you for any reason, Partition Magic can do what you want, simply by shrinking D:, expanding C:, and moving your data across from D: to C:

Gary 11:21 03 Mar 03

I have tried moving the My Documents folder across to drive D: which is what I would ideally like as a solution to this issue. However, the permissions for each account I have on the computer then change so that all files become accessible to all users rather than Limited users being able to see their own files only and Administrators being albe to see them all.

Can anyone tell me how I can get around this?

jazzypop 11:38 03 Mar 03

Try click here - pretty much all you need to know about access, security, permissions etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…