merge 2 drives, perhaps?

palinka 19:09 14 Nov 10

I'm trying to resurrect an elderly laptop (Acer Aspire 1310; 7 yrs old; OS is XP) so that I can pass it on to a friend. I no longer need it and one reason why I haven’t used it for some time is that it is EXTREMELY slow.
Original spec was 256 RAM and 20GB HD. I’ve deleted all my stuff, run DiskCleaner & Ccleaner, etc, etc, and deleted some software. But in spite of all that, when I do a defrag it shows that “Acer: C” has only 10% free space,(971MB) but “Acerdata D”, has 89% free space.(8.77 GB).
Does this mean that the drive is partitioned?
If it is, then please can someone explain how to re-assign some of that spare 89% from D to Drive C, where it would be more use.

VoG II 19:31 14 Nov 10

The operative word here is 'merge'. PM can do this but I don't know whether the demo version will do it click here

Otherwise Google for "merge partitions".

Terry Brown 20:09 14 Nov 10

If you have the XP operating CD, it might be easier to use the disk (run the CD for install and when you get to the blue screen (Terms & Conditions) press F8 then ESC for advanced, follow the on screen prompts to delete partitions and format, Windows install will automaticly re-load.
This has 2 advantages,

1-- you have a clean install-all your programs will be completly gone

2--It will possibly run faster, as there is no clutter on the system.
Terry

BRYNIT 21:01 14 Nov 10

Or Easeus partition master click here

palinka 22:32 14 Nov 10

thank you all; I'm sure to find something there.
Terry Brown's suggestion sounds the most attractive (and easiest?), but I don't think I have an XP disk - only a recovery disk.

woodchip 23:08 14 Nov 10

Recovery disc will not work after you change the Partitions. It only works with the Hidden recovery Partition. I suggest you remove some programs also turn off Restore to clear Restore points then turn it back on to create a new point. Also set the Space restore can use to about 5% of the Partition

palinka 09:04 15 Nov 10

thanks for that, Woodchip.

palinka 22:41 15 Nov 10

There were no programs left to delete - though another defrag showed traces of long-ago deleted programs;eg a-squared, which I've now rooted out via Start>Search.I turned off Sys restore & then on again and then reduced the space it uses from max down to about 400 MB. C now has 26% free space; a great improvement; thanks for those suggestions,woodchip. I'll have a go with Easeus as soon as I have time. I don't have an XP disk so re-installing is not an option unfortunately.

woodchip 21:19 16 Nov 10

If you create a Image of The C:\ Drive using Acronis True Image save to a External Drive Or a USB stick that is big enough to hold it, also check the Image when Creating it as a Image that does not work, is the same as not having one. Best way of checking is try it after you create it and before you mess the partition's up so you can use the restore disc if the Image fails. But once its made and working, you can throw the Recovery CD and clear the Hidden Partition. giving you the room you need. Or you could first run the Recovery CD this will put it back to factory settings and will clear all the dross remove programs that you do not want after using recovery. This will make a backup Image smaller and may fit on a DVD that can be put back using the Acronis disc to boot with then restore the Acronis Image From the DVD you put the Image on.

All This means you can then clear the drive and partitions as many times as you want, no XP CD needed

palinka 17:40 17 Nov 10

thank you everyone; now done.

woodchip 19:17 17 Nov 10

So What did you do in the End????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac