Menu problems with FP2000

steven_frost 09:49 20 Jul 03

It's a question i've asked a few times but feel i've not worded it right so one last try at this on the left hand side of my web site i am displaying the menu bar using a theme from FP and using css what i want to be able to do is diplay the parent level then say a user clicks on history i would like it to display the child level as well so like showing a sub menu if anyone knows how to do this please HELP !!!!!!!

Falkyrn 18:03 21 Jul 03

As answered previously the effect you describe is best created using DHTML and jscript a good and free version of what you describe can be found at click here

another option is menumaker from Xara a demo version of this can be downloaded from click here

Taran 20:50 21 Jul 03

You can insert a navigation bar to link to any pages you like. Since you only want it to appear when another link is clicked, you either have to get into a bit of complex jiggery pokery or use a simple trick.

Let's say you have two index pages. The first is your real index page while the second is a carbon copy of it.

They are called index.htm and indexcopy.htm respectively.

You also have other pages in your web called home.htm page1.htm page2.htm page3.htm and page4.htm

If you do not have the web folder list view enabled, click on View then click on Folder List to see the contents of your web in the left hand panel.

Now click on View then click Navigation.

Now, let's say you have a hyperlink set up on your index.htm page that jumps to your home.htm page. The only visible difference between them is that the home.htm page has a link bar leading to selected pages of your site while the original index.htm page looks the same, but without the links.

You are tricking people into thinking that they are seeing just another navigation set when they have actually jumped pages.

In the View, Navigation options, you will get the Navigation menu in the right hand main window of FrontPage. Drag the files from the folder view to your left into the right hand window and position them beneath the pages you want them to be linked to. An example based on the above could be that index.htm links to home.htm, so drag the home.htm file from the folder view into the navigation structure. You will see both pages listed with a line joining them.

Now drag all the pages you want home.htm to link to underneath it so that you have index.htm leading to home.htm which then has page1.htm page2.htm page3.htm and page4.htm underneath it.

Now if you insert a Navigation bar into the index page and select 'Child pages under home', it will link to the home.htm page

Open up home.htm and insert another navigation bar into it, this time selecting 'Child level' and you may also want to add a tick to the option to include a link to Home page or Parent page so people can go back if they wish.

This gives a navigation structure of index to home followed by home to pages 1 through to 4 (with any optional additional links).

So as long as index.htm and home.htm are visually the same in content (apart from the hyperlinks) you can use this method to trick someone into seeing a new menu in what they think is the original page when they click a link on it.

Taran 20:51 21 Jul 03

There are loads of different ways of doing this and some are easier, some are far harder and some require third party software. Using frames is a very easy way to get the effect you want, where a frames panel on the left of a page could have links which, when clicked, open up a new panel in its place with a subsection of further links.

Being as I dislike frames for a lot of reasons I shan't recommend this method but it will certainly work and is similar overall to using the two identical pages method outlined above, only this time the pages are loaded into a frame-set.

This is not a lesson in good or efficient design practice by any stretch of the imagination but it does work and you can do it all using the FrontPage tools available from the drop down menus without anything other than patience and a mild streak of insanity.

It's a quick and very dirty workaround and I wince at it in places. The end result though, is a page, with a link. Click the link and an identical page with an additional navigation menu appears...

I hope this is along the lines of what you are looking for without getting into DHTML, JavaScript (which would be my choice over any DHTML solution) or Flash, to name but a few possible options. If you wanted to be really clever you could code up a PHP menu which is fast to load and looks the business, but the only snag is that you need to know PHP and...

If you want some copy and paste code for a DHTML or JavaScript menu with sublinks, try DynamicDrive at click here and look in the Menus and Navigation section of the site.

I'm not a big fan of cut and paste code though. For one thing you are using somebody else's work on your own site without a clue as to how or even why it works. For another, doing it this way can save you time but costs you the learning curve of doing it yourself and understanding the processes involved. Once you know how it's done, you can write your own code to do exactly what you want it to rather than grab something anyone can and most likely will use.

Regards

Taran

Taran 20:52 21 Jul 03

Some of this is possibly useful, some is not, but your ouitlined requirements are certainly possible within FrontPage so stick with it.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…