Memtest86 which one to use

TommyRed 19:29 02 Jun 04

I recently added another 256Mb of RAM, making 512Mb, but I noticed as a game was loading something saying 253Mb of RAM. Now this game was installed when I only had 256Mb, could this be why the discrepancy and will the game recognize the extra 256Mb, 'cos it has still been slow in places. Though I turned a lot of the settings down previous to extra RAM. I vaguely remember checking with above program when I added extra RAM on my other PC. Which download for XP?

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:54 02 Jun 04

You want 3.1a (windows/Dos)

If you just want to check how much ram you have go to control panel and select 'System' under general will tell you your ram.

hugh-265156 20:02 02 Jun 04

start/control panel/system/general will tell you if all 512mb is recognised.

newish games like a fast cpu + fast graphics card and lots of ram to run smoothly.

even then the likes of far cry can make a very fast system struggle at times.

whats the game and whats the rest of your system specs?

tun off any AA AF and maybe set screen to 1024x768 if things are a bit jerky

TommyRed 20:12 02 Jun 04

Soldier of Fortune II double helix. e-machines 420, 2.60Ghz Celeron, 80Gb HDD, 3D AGP Intel Extreme graphics (Onboard) and 512Mb of RAM. Will try out. I have turned quite a few things down to get the game to play, don't ask me what but if there was a choice things were turned down to medium or low. TR

hugh-265156 01:07 03 Jun 04

well soilder of fortune is not the most demanding of games.

p4 celerons unfortunatly are not the best when it comes to gaming due to the lower cache but i think you should be fine with a 2.6ghz version for most cpu intensive tasks even the latest games.

your onboard graphics however are the bottleneck at the moment.i think you will have problems trying to play anything that involves motion with the extreme onboard jobbys :-)

add a budget graphics card to you set up and you will be laughing would be my dont need to go mad here and spending lots of money on the fastest graphics card will only show up the celeron as the limiting factor.

something like a geforce 4 ti4200 card or radeon 9200 can be picked up for £35-40 or so and although direct x8 cards they will still be very playable at lower resolutions in almost everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…