Memory usage discrepancy

Cybermaxx 19:36 13 Nov 05

Everest Home Edition reports that I'm using 272MB of RAM, but when I add up the memory usage from the processes listed in WIndows Task Manager, it only adds up to about 97MB. What's using the rest of the RAM?

Diodorus Siculus 20:08 13 Nov 05

Do you have onboard graphics?

Cybermaxx 20:20 13 Nov 05

No. An AGP card.

ade.h 21:42 13 Nov 05

Funny you should ask this; I ran Everest on a new notebook recently and it reported a similar figure - about half of the 512MB and the graphics card has its own dedicated RAM. I just took it at its word, though did think that it was a little high, and didn't bother to check Task Manager.

I'm not sure whether memory usage would be entirely accounted for in Task Manager anyway; checking in the performance logs would be better - you can create your own memory monitor from Performance Logs and Alerts in Administrative Tools. I can't remember how to do this but if I can find the instructions I'll post a link for you.

De Marcus™ 21:45 13 Nov 05

Could it not be down to Evesrest reporting the figure as it was when you built the report, thus using up some memory temporarily whilst Everest was working to build the report?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…