Memory Upgrade Queries

Batch 18:38 20 May 04

I have an Asus A7V133 mobo with a single sided 168 pin 8 chip 256Mb 32x64 SDRAM PC133 CL3 3.3v memory card. I intend to add another similar card (best price I've seen is about £29+VAT). Looking around I’ve seen references to “major on third” – can anyone explain what this is and whether it matters (to me)? Also, what are CL3, CL2 etc.?

Also what are the pros and cons of single sided versus double sided? The double sided seems to be more expensive and take more space – is there any upside to it? Does it matter if both single and double sided cards are installed together?

Lastly, does it matter if one mixes cards of capacities (e.g. 128Mb and 256Mb). If they can be mixed, does it matter what order they are put in?

Batch 10:05 21 May 04

reload

helmetshine 10:57 21 May 04

I've got 2 256 modules and 1 512 and they work fine together so i don't think different sizes are a problem.Can't answer your other queries i'm afraid but i'm sure someone will

If you go hereclick here you'll be able to use the Crucial Selector and it will offer memory thats guaranteed to work with your PC....and if you look on the consumer forum you'll see that they are one of the best companies to deal with

Batch 17:12 21 May 04

Found a lot of info in this pdf from Kingston Technologies

click here

Starts of a bit basic (but some will find that useful), latter parts discuss many aspects, although a tad long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…