memory upgrade problems just black screen

suff 13:15 23 Feb 04

im currently running 160 mb sdram and want to upgrade to 256 mb ddram. im using a elitegroup k7s5a mainboard . the trouble is when i put the ddram in and boot up i get ablack screen and nothing else. what can this be the ddram is new. any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Help! :D 13:21 23 Feb 04

have you checked the BIOS?

roy 13:34 23 Feb 04

I take it that you are removing the old SDram first. you can't use both together.

slimbo51 13:43 23 Feb 04

Some memory will not work with certain M/boards.

Have built many systems in my time, some where even though their is nothing wrong with memory stick itself, it just will not work with a given board.

I just change the stick for another manf, and away it goes.

Some boards don't like generic ram (Asus for instance) so I know to always buy branded instead.

Not a good idea to mix ram size either, all 128mb, 256mb Ect. Often get probs if u mix a 128 say with a 256 stick.

Will have a look at ur board and come back to you.

One other poss is that the Graphics Card isn't seated down correctly. AGP cards use double row of contacts to make connection, and its easy (Done it myself) not to push the card in far enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…