Memory upgrade problem

Jody's Dad 00:09 16 Jan 03
  Jody's Dad 00:09 16 Jan 03

Can anyone help. I'm running two PC's, one, a Pentium 3 733Mhz with Tyan Trinity S1854 motherboard, 20Gb Seagate HD, Nvidia Riva TN2 graphics and Creative Soundblaster audio, the other is a 1Gb Pentium 3 with an Asus TUSL2-C motherboard, 2 x 40Gb Western Digital drives, Matrox Millenium G400 max and an Audiophile 2496 soundcard.
With memory so cheap at the moment, I decided to upgrade the RAM on both machines to 512Mb. I bought 2 x 256Mb 133SDRAM 168 pin boards from Crucial (via their website) for the 1Gb machine, and installed three different branded cards into the 733Mhz machine (1 x 128Mb Hyundai, 1 x 128Mb Toshiba, and 1 x 256Mb Kingston - all 133SDRAM 168 pin).
On rebooting, both systems recognised the new memory, but their didn't seem to be a significant increase in performance on either. I ran a diagnostic test using Norton Systemworks 2000/Utilites and in both machines address errors were found. After laboriously running individual tests on each memory card, I found that according to Norton diagnostics, only the two 128Mb cards were working. So, I installed both 128Mb cards in the same machine and once again the memory test failed.
Is this a problem with the Norton Systemworks program (in that it is unable to run tests on memory above 128Mb) or could there be a fault elsewhere in the system? It's strange that I should encounter the same problem on different computers using different motherboards, and I Think it's unlikely that Crucial have sent me two dud memory cards (although it is possible). Or, have I made a glaringly obvious mistake during installation.

Giggle n' Bits 00:40 16 Jan 03

and here the Little gates on each end Click Shut ?.

Also from when the memory arrived do you let it settle to room temp before fitting it as temp change, static etc can kill it off.

512MB is the Max and can also cause problems in Win 95,98,98Se and not sure on Win ME or XP.

Which O/s do you use ?.

obbit 14:43 16 Jan 03

I might be wrong but did you touch the memory all over without anti static measures. just a slight chance?

best regards

bof:) 17:15 16 Jan 03

Hi Jody's dad,

- have you checked in the MB manual that you've fitted the right memory?

- have you tried swoping the memory strips into other empty memory sockets on the motherboard?

- how much memory did you have exactly in each PC before you upgraded? I seem to recall that there is a significant 'amount' of 'noticable difference' in the running of the PC depending upon what you began with and what you have now.

Jody's Dad 00:03 17 Jan 03

Thank's very much, Ghost-in-You, Obbit and Mike for taking an interest in my 'memory problems'. In answer to your various questions and solutions: My operating system is Windows 98se, I did use an anti-static wrist strap during the installation and the memory cards would have had time to adjust to the room temperature. Prior to my attempted upgrade, the ammount of memory in both my Pentium PCs was 128Mb. I did read the motherboard manuals before purchasing new memory cards, so I'm 99.9% certain that I've fitted the correct type. Finally, I've tried every socket and every configuration on both Mb's and the problem still persists, any other ideas...thanks for trying!

DieSse 01:36 17 Jan 03

Try this memory tester instead of Norton.

click here

Adding more RAM won't simpply make your system go faster. In fact unless you are using programs that can use the extra RAM, it won't go any faster at all. Where you should see performance gains are with - programs manipulating large graphics files - when running several large programs simultaneously - processing video files - and the like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…