Memory Upgrade Advice

Phil930 22:08 06 Jul 05

Before I speak of my consideration, I will post my current system specs.

AMD 64 3200+ (Newcastle), Asus K8NE Del, 1Gb Corsair XMS TWINX 3200LLPT (2x512), EVGA 6800 (unlocked pipes etc with rivatuner), Audigy 2 ZS, WD 80Gb Sata, Maxtor 120 IDE (for docs), Pioneer 107D, NEC 2500A, Win XP Pro.

The system is good, however recently certain applications seem to be taking longer to load etc, and windows start up has slowed down (many options in MSCONFIG unchecked). I only just reinstalled windows 3 weeks ago. There are no viruses or other harmful things on the pc.

I am thinking about going to 2 Gb of Corsair XMS memory. As I am in the USA now I can purchase any of these click here

I was leaning towards this pack click here

However, do you think I would notice a significant increase in doubling RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb. Would the slower timings of the larger 1Gb sticks (on AMD 2.5-3-3-6) compared to my current timings of 2-3-2-6 make a significant difference?

Finally, if I do change what should I set the pagefile to with 2Gb of RAM? Furthermore, what should it be set at with 1Gb of RAM?

The thought for change was initiated by BF2!

citadel 23:53 06 Jul 05

I remember reading that having 1g is faster than 2g in benchmarks.

swanson2 00:18 07 Jul 05

Hi Phil930,

I think that your current set up should be good enough for just about anything you want to do and don't think the extra 1Gb of RAM will make much difference.

How long does your PC take to boot up from switching on to having a useable desktop?

After much messing around with MSCONFIG settings I am of the opinion that it is best to select Normal start up as a general rule because selective start ups can cause unpredictable events in the future.

Also I would let Windows automatically sort your virtual memory.

swanson2 00:21 07 Jul 05

Hi Phil930,

I think that your current set up should be good enough for just about anything you want to do and don't think the extra 1Gb of RAM will make much difference.

How long does your PC take to boot up from switching on to having a useable desktop?

After much messing around with MSCONFIG settings I am of the opinion that it is best to select Normal start up as a general rule because selective start ups can cause unpredictable events in the future.

Also I would let Windows automatically sort your virtual memory.

Kate B 00:23 07 Jul 05

I've got 2 gig and the one thing I notice is that Photoshop handles images much more smoothly and quickly. Games are good with 2 gig, as well. Doesn't stop Photoshop bl**dy Album leaking memory and locking up, though.

it's a bit of a luxury but if you've got the dosh, go for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…