Memory Upgrade

matt210222 02:15 20 Dec 07

I have a Gateway 5407E which came with 1gig of ram. I just bought PNY 2gig dual channel kit. I removed my old memory out and installed the new memory and the system booted up but it doesnt recognize the new ram, it is still giving me the old value amount of ram. I can not notice any performance difference. Have I done something wrong? the new module is PNY ddr2 pc2-5300

paul€ 07:14 20 Dec 07

The gateway takes rambus ram doesn't it and not ddr2. With a maximum of 2Gb in 4 slots. Thats a maximum of 512Mb per slot. It also recommends that it uses EEC memory.

DeezNuts 03:45 12 Sep 08

I have the same pc and it takes Installed: 1024 MB DDR2, 533 MHz, (PC4200) dual channel memory (two 512 MB DIMMs)
Expandable to: 4 GB (4 DDR2 DIMM slots)

I put the 512 s in the second and fourth slots and my new two 1 gb sticks in slots 1 and 3 and it registers 3 gb of ram .make sure your not putting them side by side as gateway splits them up .

Any1 12:01 17 Sep 08

Something does not make sense on both of the posts above. You all should be seeing all the RAM recognized and not half of it. matt please try taking out all the memory and installing one chip at a time and see what happens. That should do the trick or at least let you know if you have any faulty RAM there. I dont see too much information on that Gateway available online im wondering which sort of motherboard is being used there and whether the motherboard is picky to only PC2-4200 RAM. Try using the scan my system tool with these guys below, if you got any questions send them an email they seem extremely knowledgeable and are a local company.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…