Memory Upgrade

Dicka123 11:30 09 Nov 07

Hi people,

Ok heres my question...
I have just bought a new Aver TravelMate 7520.

It has installed 2 x 512Mb 667Mhz memory and a TL-58 Turion Processor. All I want to know is can I install 533Mhz memory???

I contacted Acer but hey guess what the manufacturer ain't got a clue about there own priduct.

Any way I have bought 2 x 1GB Corsair Memory @ 533MHz...

Will it brake my comp?

Thanks in advance!

Colin.

Pine Man 11:32 09 Nov 07

No it won't break your computer and, although it is slightly slower than your existing RAM, the overall effect should be faster as you have twice as much.

Totally-braindead 11:34 09 Nov 07

This is what Crucial says click here
Whether it will work properly or not really depends on the spec of the Corsair memory, its not just speed alone that says whether it will work or not.

chris05 11:38 09 Nov 07

It won't break your pc! and according to Acer's website your laptop is upgradeable to 4Gb of ram so it can take your 2Gb's, as for it been a slower speed than the installed ram it should not be a problem it's just a shame you did not get hold of the faster 667Mhz as you are losing a little bit of performance.

Dicka123 11:41 09 Nov 07

Ok confused... the link bove says I can't use the memory above???

I have PC4200 and the link says I can only use PC5300 & PC6400???

So which???

Totally-braindead 11:43 09 Nov 07

Is he losing speed though? Thats kind of what I was wondering, is the present memory running at full speed or not. I always thought that the memory was dependant on the speed of the processor and that installing faster memory meant it would run but at the lower speed. So if the memory installed is running at a lower speed then the system will still run at the same speed with the slower memory.

Anyone know what speed the Turion processor runs the memory at? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Totally-braindead 11:50 09 Nov 07

Have to say the Crucial recommendations are just that, recommendations. It probably will run with slower memory but from what Crucial is listing I assume that the PC5300 is the memory running at the correct speed and the PC6400 is faster memory which will run perfectly but I assume at the lower PC5300 speed.

I've never installed memory that was lower spec than the PC asked for so to be honest I don't know what will happen.

You could try it, if it doesn't work then just put the old stuff back.

umbongo(uk) 12:16 09 Nov 07

ok as the poster will have noticed
the speed of the ram is indicated by its number

the number indicates acces time

there shouldnt be a noticable diffrence in speed there would however if it was 4200

remember memmorey stores data so it dosent have to read the harddrive all the time

more memmorey = more data/program can be loaded onto it for use,thus acces to the program is speeded up

but it is better to get the highest speed available to your system in this case it would have been 667
take note for future purchase,s but if like me the ram was cheap and its still fast ram so no damage is done

chris05 12:29 09 Nov 07

Do us all a favor we are all pretty much in agreement it will cause no damage so install the chips and let us know how it runs :-)

Why wont it work 12:55 09 Nov 07

click here

From reading the article/review above it would appear that you should be alright. The RAM probably wasn't running at the full 667mhz anyway if you read it, so the drop to 533mhz ram shouldn't do too much harm.

Dicka123 13:00 09 Nov 07

Ok guys, cheers for all ya help!

I will plug them in tonight and let u's know the outcome.

I presumed it would be fine, just wasn't sure on the latency of the RAM.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos