Memory upgrade.

Ticketyboo 07:36 11 Jan 07

I have a WinFast K8S 755A series Motherboard with 512 ram (2X256) and I would like to put 1Gb which is the best way to go 1x1Gb or2x512, I dont really understand the difference. thanks for any advice. Terry.

The Kestrel 08:23 11 Jan 07

A 1X1Gb stick of RAM fits into one memory slot on your MB. 2X512Mb is 2 sticks each of 512Mb which take up 2 slots om your MB. There will be no difference in performance.

For the best match of RAM go to click here and use the memory scanner to determine which RAM is best for your MB.

ed-0 08:50 11 Jan 07

With the WinFast K8S 755A , you have a large range of options on how to go.

Firstly you have to decide if you wish to use dual channel mode for the memory. Dual channel mode means that the memory speed will be faster over the normal spewed of the ram. It is good but with some of the options below, you may decide that the little increase in memory speed does not warrant the extra price.

So to the options. Your motherboard has three memory slots. Using the two yellow slots together with matched memory will give you dual channel memory.

So if you wish to retain dual channel memory with 1Gb of ram. You need to buy 2 X 512Mb dimms. that will be the most expensive, but will give the better performance. Price? expect to pay around £85 to £95 for a pair of matched sticks.

If you are not to bothered about dual channel mode and are working on a budget, then you can still use the 2 X 256Mb memory modules ( dimms ) and just add a 512Mb dimm in the spare slot. This would give you a total size of memory of 1Gb. You should be able to get a 512Mb dimm to fit into the spare slot for as little as £35. If you choose the latter option then you would need to download a small free program to check on your existing memory to match up a compatible dimm.

they are other options, but I think those two are the best way forward.

ed-0 08:52 11 Jan 07

" normal spewed of the ram "

should read

normal speed of the ram. Hope that hasn't made you feel sick;-)

Ticketyboo 18:46 11 Jan 07

Many thanks, that gives me something to think about.

Ticketyboo 07:48 18 Jun 07

I have purchased 2x1gb sticks which are pc3200/400mhz ddr but when I tried them all hell broke loose, (so thinking I was a bit of a gladiator) I tried putting them in different ways but ended up with a computer that was totally useless so I finally had to format and clean install xp, now I'm afraid to have another go in case I have to go through it all again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…