Memory Upgrade

Eggie76 23:57 25 Nov 06

I will start by telling you all that I'm abit of a virgin at this PC upgrade business but here goes. Got a Packard Bell PC I bought from PC World about 5 years ago and its just getting slower and slower. I regulary virus scan and defrag and erase temp. files but as soon as I get more than 2 programs running it freezes up! Its only running 256MB, is it time increase this?
Took the side off the tower and I see there is an empty slot near the original memory card, do you just purchased and pop it in there? Numbers off the card are PC133U-333-542A, 256MB, SYNCH, 133MHz, CL3. Means sod all to me! Someone said to put another 256MB board in but with a higher speed (is that the MHz bit?). What card do I go for?
I'm running XP if that make any difference. Sorry for all the questions so late at night! Regards, Eggie

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 00:12 26 Nov 06

This is quite old memory to get hold of, Best bet is to ebay "256MB SDRAM 133".

It is just a matter of slotting the new memory module into the motherboard next to the other and that should be about it.

As for the speed of the memory, the memory is likely to be matched with your CPU's frontside bus so I shouldn't worry about it.

TOPCAT® 00:52 26 Nov 06

memory advisor tool click here to determine exactly what should and can be added.

XP would certainly be much happier with more than 256MB installed. ;o) TC.

click here

ed-0 09:54 26 Nov 06

This will match the stick of memory you already have in your computer. click here

use TOPCAT®'s link to the crucial scanner and they will guarantee that the memory will work.

not a bad price for a 256Mb stick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…