Memory Upgrade.

thospot 13:54 20 Feb 06

I am about to upgrade my RAM Memory and would like some advise, please.....

My motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV Socket A KT 333A DDR, and my current memory is 256MB PC133 DDR.... Windows XP Home...

My motherboard can support memory size up to 3GB.

I have three 184-pin DIMM slots.. Two of these available...

My question is how big a memory can I install and would I have any trouble if I (for instance) installed a 512MB all in one or would you suggest putting in two more 256MB pieces?.. Or, would you advise me putting as big a memory in as possible?..

Can you visualise any problems I might encounter.. Thanks..

The Kestrel 14:03 20 Feb 06

You should be able to put any combination of RAM sizes in the three slots, up to a maximum of 1GB in each. I recommend that you go to click here and use their memory finder to make sure you get compatible sticks of RAM.

thospot 14:18 20 Feb 06

The Kestrel.
Thanks, I have already been on that web site and they recommended me to put 256MB in and gave mne the information.

What I want to know is can I put more than that in without compromising the computer?..

The Kestrel 14:24 20 Feb 06

If the manual for your motherboard states that it can support up 3GB of RAM, then my first sentence still applies. As I understand it, is the motherboard that determines the maximum RAM that can be supported not any other part of the PC.

surfsteruk 14:24 20 Feb 06

yes, you should be able to put up to a total of 3 GB. I would suggest you buy a stick of 512MB. The more the merrier. The only time you need to by identical sticks is when you have a MB thats capabale of dual channel memory, which you dont have.

The Kestrel 14:29 20 Feb 06

I have just gone through the Crucial memory checker. Any of the RAM units listed are compatible with your MB. You seem to be able to fit up 512MB sticks in your motherboard, so could have a maximum of 1536MB (3 X 512MB).

BigRik 14:30 20 Feb 06

As long as you install the correct memory TYPE, it won't matter what SIZE it is. As The Kestrel says, don't go over 1GB in each slot, therefore you won't go over the 3GB capacity. So, yes you can put in more than that without compromising your computer.

BigRik 14:34 20 Feb 06

Ah. OK. So put 3x512's in instead then! Sorry 'bout that. I posted before I read The Kestrel's other posts.

thospot 14:36 20 Feb 06

Thanks again for your replies...

surfsteruk, I did read about dual channel memory and it was that that made me doubt. Thanks for putting my mind at ease because I had never heard of it before....

I think I shall put a 512MB stick in so that will be ok will it?.

thospot 14:39 20 Feb 06

It took me so long to type my reply out you lot had overtaken me by miles....

I am now clear as to what I shall do without any worries..

Thanks to all.

The Kestrel 14:40 20 Feb 06

That should be fine. You may have to put the new stick of RAM in the first slot if it doesn't work in the second one, as some motherboards are fussy as to which way round the RAM is installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now