Memory Upgrade

Ritchbee 22:32 23 Oct 04

Going to be putting some more Ram.

512Mb to 1Gb

Do I need to alter anything on the Bios ?

If so, how ???

What should I be careful off.

Brian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 23 Oct 04

Make sure memory is compatible with your motherboard check at crucial.com

Switch off and unplug

wear an antistatic wrist band

insert correctway round

check fully inserted in slot (needs firm push but don't force) end clips should locate easily if fully inserted.

when you reboot should count up to 1G without changing anything in BIOS.

If refuses to boot and beeps at you then not inserted correctly or faulty memory stick.

Best of Luck (you shouldn't really need it)

LastChip 22:53 23 Oct 04

Only do it if your running Win2K or XP.

All the older systems do not play well with more than 512MB.

This can be overcome by using a memory manager, but you won't detect any significant advantage.

Laser157 23:08 23 Oct 04

Also don't make the mistake I just made. I bought a second stick of Kingston PC133 memory which had EXACTLY the same part number as the one I already had. But it's not the same - older one is double- sided and new one is single. I understand it's much better not to mix them.

Not a total disaster as I have another use for the newer stick on it's own. However I think this is a really poor bit of product identification by a reputable company like Kingston.

Ritchbee 23:19 23 Oct 04

Last Chip

Using XP so should be ok

Thanks

Daxsimus 23:41 23 Oct 04

I've just upgraded. Used crucial they told me what I needed. received quickly installed in less than 5 mins all perfect.
Good luck
Dax.

Ritchbee 21:43 31 Oct 04

OK - Added my extra 512Mb of Ram.

I've run a system test using PC Pitstop whih tells me that I now have 1024Mb.

Is there any other of confirming this change has actually happened ?.

Many thanks
B

Alex-188000 21:57 31 Oct 04

The system check should be enough evidence that it is installed okay but if you want to make sure then there is a program, of which i think is on the DVD/CD on one of the past issues, called RAMbooster, it shows you how much RAM you have and how much is being used. I think its a very useful tool. Here it is if you dont have the DVD/CD. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…