Memory Upgrade

rhona_s 17:27 29 Dec 03

Ok, just bought 256MB RAM to upgrade my system.
Have followed advice found on the net to install the new memory, but once it's in and I try to restart, it just kind of hangs, I don't even get a start up screen!

Have tried installing in both the free slots, as well as replacing the existing memory, but neither seems to make any diffenernce!

Any advice?

hugh-265156 17:34 29 Dec 03

what type of ram ie ddr/sdram etc did you buy.what type was already installed?does it work when you put the old ram back again?

click here click "find your system here" to see if you got the correct type.

rhona_s 17:49 29 Dec 03

I have bought a 256mb pc133 sdram, should be the correct one going by the link. i have tried replacing the existing one whick is also a pc133 but still nothing. have the original one in just now, it's only the new one that is the problem.

cheers

hugh-265156 17:53 29 Dec 03

may be faulty stick.

rhona_s 17:55 29 Dec 03

going to take it back 2moro.
thanks for the help.

ps any adive for fitting a graphics card?

Rayuk 19:23 29 Dec 03

Take both sticks with you and just get a match for the one you have to make 256Mb ,should be enough for you.

Before you instal new graphics card uninstal drivers you have on now.

Then instal new card and instal latest drivers for it.

click here

should help with your upgrades

TommyRed 21:14 29 Dec 03

I bought 128Mb of RAM from a local shop but couldn't get it to work, it just jumbled up the graphics on the monitor during and after boot-up. I noticed it had a 'Made in China' sticker on it, so I got my money back and ordered some from Crucial (see huggy71's link) it worked perfectly. HTH TR

rhona_s 14:48 30 Dec 03

They took back the memory, I've got my refund and will now order some from Crucial!
Thanks everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…