Memory sticks Do they wear?

gel 23 Nov 12
Answered

I have used memory sticks for a long time, but recently I am having issues with one of them It is probably quite ancient Could it be wearing?

Answer

I don't think they wear out as such, although there may be a limit to how many read/writes they can perform before they start to get untrustworthy. Whatever: make sure you back up any important files on them?

gel 23 Nov 12

That was quick Thanks Yes I have been rewriting this stick a lot I do have a robust back up system and considering the relative cheapness of memory sticks it may be prudent to put this one out to graze cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23 Nov 12

Apart from the fact that technology leads us to ever growing capacities and speeds and therefore sometimes rendering certain mem card / stick sizes such as 16Mb or 32Mb obsolete, it is worthwile to note that memory cards /sticks have a limited life expectancy.

There is a difference; single layer cards /sticks may allow in excess of maybe 100,000 read-write actions, whilst multi-layer cards may only allow around 10,000 to 15,000.

wiz-king 23 Nov 12

Also the physical wear on the contacts may make them unreliable, I have known the pins to break away from the internal circuit board and it's a fiddly job to re-solder them.

lotvic 23 Nov 12

Ah rats, Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've just treated myself to a 32gb stick only to find out it's considered outdated/obsolete by some ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23 Nov 12

lotvic

Don't mix up your Megs and Gigs

Your new stick won't be obsolete for a while yet

:0)

lotvic 23 Nov 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\, phew, I'm pleased I mixed up my Megs and Gigs. Serves me right for not paying attention :) As it happens I do have an old 64MB usb stick in drawer that doesn't get used now.

Peter 23 Nov 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Are you telling me my 8 inch floppies and flippies, with their enormous 1 Meg capacity, are out of date? ;-)

Peter.

wiz-king 24 Nov 12

Oh drat - I have still got 32Kb of ferrite bead memory - is that out of date now? grin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 24 Nov 12

Peter

Not if you still have something to read then with have you tried getting windows 8 drivers for a floppy drive, most new mother boards do'y have floopy controllers built in.

wiz-king

I could probably find a use for that on a couple of old machines.

Wonder what sort of memory this old machine (Witch) uses

:0)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

See 24 hours in London in 1 minute with Paul Richardson's hyperlapse film

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message