Memory sticks Do they wear?

gel 16:53 PM 23 Nov 12

I have used memory sticks for a long time, but recently I am having issues with one of them It is probably quite ancient Could it be wearing?

Ian in Northampton 16:59 PM 23 Nov 12

I don't think they wear out as such, although there may be a limit to how many read/writes they can perform before they start to get untrustworthy. Whatever: make sure you back up any important files on them?

gel 17:04 PM 23 Nov 12

That was quick Thanks Yes I have been rewriting this stick a lot I do have a robust back up system and considering the relative cheapness of memory sticks it may be prudent to put this one out to graze cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 PM 23 Nov 12

Apart from the fact that technology leads us to ever growing capacities and speeds and therefore sometimes rendering certain mem card / stick sizes such as 16Mb or 32Mb obsolete, it is worthwile to note that memory cards /sticks have a limited life expectancy.

There is a difference; single layer cards /sticks may allow in excess of maybe 100,000 read-write actions, whilst multi-layer cards may only allow around 10,000 to 15,000.

wiz-king 17:12 PM 23 Nov 12

Also the physical wear on the contacts may make them unreliable, I have known the pins to break away from the internal circuit board and it's a fiddly job to re-solder them.

lotvic 17:36 PM 23 Nov 12

Ah rats, Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've just treated myself to a 32gb stick only to find out it's considered outdated/obsolete by some ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 PM 23 Nov 12

Don't mix up your Megs and Gigs

Your new stick won't be obsolete for a while yet

lotvic 17:54 PM 23 Nov 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\, phew, I'm pleased I mixed up my Megs and Gigs. Serves me right for not paying attention :) As it happens I do have an old 64MB usb stick in drawer that doesn't get used now.

Peter 18:05 PM 23 Nov 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Are you telling me my 8 inch floppies and flippies, with their enormous 1 Meg capacity, are out of date? ;-)

wiz-king 08:08 AM 24 Nov 12

Oh drat - I have still got 32Kb of ferrite bead memory - is that out of date now? grin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 PM 24 Nov 12

Not if you still have something to read then with have you tried getting windows 8 drivers for a floppy drive, most new mother boards do'y have floopy controllers built in.

I could probably find a use for that on a couple of old machines.

Wonder what sort of memory this old machine (Witch) uses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know