memory stick use with win 98

Garb 12:04 01 Apr 08

Trying to retrieve some "word" files for a friend from an older PC running Win 98. When I plug my memory stick into the USB port (sandisk cruzer micro) the drivers are not there. Plugged it into my own PC (win XP proSP2) and copied the drivers it gave me in Device Manager onto a floppy disk. Says that it is a FAT file system on the floppy.
Replug memory stick into the old PC and when it prompts for drivers, direct it to the floppy disk and nothing. Explore floppy disk and nothing showing on it (subsequently the 3 files show on my PC) Apart from a fault with the floppy drive on the old PC is there anything else i've missed?

Garb

DieSse 12:11 01 Apr 08

You need a CD (which often comes with the memory stick) to load specific drivers for Win98.

Anything copied from your XP system won't suffice, I'm afraid.

DieSse 12:13 01 Apr 08

Here's a download for it click here

DieSse 12:16 01 Apr 08

And read this thread if you still have problems

click here

Diemmess 12:25 01 Apr 08

Nice to be able to use a USB stick, but surely you could copy his Word(s) to a floppy and transfer to any machine provided it still has a floppy drive.

Garb 16:32 01 Apr 08

Thanks for that, should have realised the drivers for Win98 and XP would be different.

Yes could have transferred the files top a floppy, but as there isn't a floppy on my friend's new computer it would mean an extra trip between houses (some distance) to transfer them on my PC to the memory stick/CD and then go back to transfer to the friend's new PC.

Thanks again for the replies

garb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…