Memory stick problem

Bike-it 20:28 08 Jun 10

I am using a memory stick which was working okay up until about an hour ago, whenever I plug it into my laptop or any other computer it is not being recognised and I keep getting prompted to reformat it, I cant reformat the stick as i have to many important things on it that I cannot afford to loose anything. how can i get the things off the stick?

northumbria61 20:40 08 Jun 10

First of all, try going into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Disk Management and see if it shows up in there.

If you can't even see it in there, I'm afraid you may have to purchase a new USB drive as it is possible it is corrupted.

It's quite rare, but it can happen if you don't eject USB devices properly when removing them. (from the safely remove hardware icon in the taskbar)

northumbria61 20:43 08 Jun 10

Also - Look into your flash drive's male end. check for dust or foreign objects. They can short out your drive. Try rebooting your laptop with the memory stick plugged in.

Bike-it 21:12 08 Jun 10

Northumbria61 the memory stick is visible in disk management, but whenever i try to open it i am still being prompted to reformat the stick, i also checked for foreign objects and dust none were present. any more help please.

northumbria61 22:53 08 Jun 10

There should be an option to "check for disk errors" other than format.

Bike-it 22:55 08 Jun 10

If there is an option what do i do just run it?

northumbria61 23:05 08 Jun 10

Take a look here and give it a try -

click here

northumbria61 23:05 08 Jun 10

Yes - run the "check for disc errors"

northumbria61 23:06 08 Jun 10

Also try it in another USB port

ams4127 23:06 08 Jun 10

I've just had the same problem with an OCZ 32GB flash drive. One day it just stopped and wouldn't do anything.

I went online to OCZ in Holland, got an RTA number and sent it off about ten days ago. Got a free replacement in this morning's post.

If yours isn't too old, you might try the same thing. Regrettably though, all your data is gone.

northumbria61 23:14 08 Jun 10

Bike-it - you could try a data recovery program to get you important files off - try this for FREE

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…