Memory Stick

Molly_Don 14:47 24 May 09

Hi

I'm useless with computers so please bear with me

I have a memory stick with photo's on, when I insert the memory stick into the desktop it shows my photos, yet when I insert the memory stick into the laptop nothing happens

any suggestions please?

DieSse 16:00 24 May 09

"...yet when I insert the memory stick into the laptop nothing happens"

Perhaps Autorun is turned off - this is actually a "good thing" as some viruses can exploit autorun.

Use Explorer to see if the USB stick appears as a drive when you plug it in - if it does, you can look at what's on it in the same way as any other drive.

If it never appears as a drive - please post back. Whar OS is on the laptop.

Molly_Don 16:17 24 May 09

Hi, thanks so much for your help, the desktop is XP, the laptop is Vista

DieSse 16:21 24 May 09

Neither should be a problem - does the stick appear in Explorer when you plug it in??

Molly_Don 16:53 24 May 09

I've inserted the momorey stick into the laptop, pop up> romovable disk(D) I've clicked on> open folder to view files> olympus master> photo database> photo gallery

then it says"photo gallery can't open this picture or video. This file is not supported or you don't have the latest updates to photo gallery"

DieSse 17:15 24 May 09

Right - what types of files are they?

Molly_Don 17:48 24 May 09

Yikes!! what types of files are they?

Now i'm stuck,

Here's what I've done

Opened drive D > Photo's > photo database> open with!!

I've tried windows photo gallery & windows live gallery, but nothing works

Molly_Don 17:56 24 May 09

Thanks for your help so far Diesse, I've to go out just now but I'll try and get back on later tonight, cheers for all your help so far..

DieSse 19:25 24 May 09

olympus master> photo database> photo gallery

Is this the folder that the files are in on the memory stick?

Right click on an individual photo and tell us the name of the file - including, most importantly, the bit that comes after the dot in the filename. This tells what type of file it is.

Is it possible the files come from an Olympus camera program that's on your desktop, but not on the laptop??

If so, then you'll have to install the program on the laptop too.

BUT before you do that, please try and provide the info about the file type, as per above.

Molly_Don 19:01 31 May 09

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying I've had family issues that required some intervention.

[quote]Is this the folder that the files are in on the memory stick?[/quote]
Yes
[quote]Right click on an individual photo and tell us the name of the file - including, most importantly, the bit that comes after the dot in the filename. This tells what type of file it is[/quote]
File Name: P2120167.JPEG
[quote]Is it possible the files come from an Olympus camera program that's on your desktop, but not on the laptop??[/quote]
I think so, not sure tbh, I think I may have installed the programe at sometime, but not 100% certain.

DieSse 19:54 31 May 09

If you double click on a file whilst it's still on the memory stick - exactly what happens?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant