//some 3rd party need geo

Memory slot configuration

soy 21:24 13 Jan 04

Hi,

I have 3 slots on my motherboard which takes PC2100 DDR. I have 2 sticks of 256 used.

My MB manual says that slots 2 + 3 are shared, so if all three slots were to be used then they will have to be as follows:

Slot 1: Double sided memory
Slot 2: Single Sided memory
Slot 3: Single sided memory

Becuase I have only 2 used, I can use 2 double sided memory in slots 1 + 2.

Now, I would like to add a third memory module but the manual states I need single sided memory.

I've looked on crucial but can't seem to find any reference or options to buy these types of memory.

Does anyone know where I can buy 512DDR PC2100 single sided?

Djohn 21:57 13 Jan 04

In general, if the motherboard works with both types then either one will do. Keep in mind however that sometimes mixing single-sided and double-sided memory modules in the same system may cause memory related problems (because of timing) and should be avoided if at all possible. Stick to one brand if you can.

Although you can use double sided memory in slot 2 [As you are now] I don't think it will work with an additional single sided stick in slot 3.

You would need to have single sided in both slot 2 & 3 This combination though would work with a double sided stick in slot 1.

Think I've got that right. j.

soy 01:12 14 Jan 04

Djohn your right.

I would have to use Single sided Memory in both slots 2+3.

Does a single sided memory module actually have the memory chips on one side? I'm looking at me memory modules now, and they both have chips one one side. Are these Single sided memory modules?

hugh-265156 01:44 14 Jan 04

i have mixed both single and double sided memory modules in my mobo slots(gigabyte) and they work ok but as above i would stick to what your motherboard manual and crucial recommends for your board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…