Memory RAM Advice Required

si67 12:28 22 Oct 07

Hi

my Dads PC has a Foxtronn SiS 661FX Motherboard which has 256MB of Memory. According to the Crucial website this Motherboard has 4 Memory slots, and 3 of them are empty.

He has ordered 2 x 512MB cards from Crucial.

My question is should we put the 2 new cards in on their own, on put the 2 new cards in the 1st and 2nd slots, then move the existing card to the 3rd slot?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Si67

xania 12:48 22 Oct 07

Not sure why you got 2x 512Mb rather than 1 GB, but really doesn't make any difference so long as they are all the same speed.

wee eddie 13:42 22 Oct 07

Your memory will run at the speed of the slowest so, depending on the difference in memory speed between the new and the old, you may get better results running just the 2 new sticks than all three.

If your Dad wants to do a bit of research. Get him to go to YouTube and ask it for "Install RAM" there are several really good Videos there and he may feel up to trying the installation himself, with you present of course, once he has watched a couple of them.

DieSse 14:46 22 Oct 07

I presume you mean Foxconn?

All the Foxconn motherboards with Sis 661FX chipsets shown here only appear to have two RAM slots.

click here

Can you confirm the exact model motherboard please.

It's unwise to mix RAM with differing speeds - ideally he should junk (sell?) the original RAM and just use two new matching modules. The extra 256MB would make very little difference anyway. Above 1GB with XP any extra makes little difference for normal usage.

I always use two sticks of RAM where possible - if one fails you still have one to fall back on. It also helps when troubleshooting RAM problems.

si67 16:05 22 Oct 07

Thanks everyone - very helpful

Si67

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…