//some 3rd party need geo

Memory question

Tattooeddude 13:08 22 Jul 03

Hi!
My computer has 512mb of memory. I was thinking about upgrading it to 1Gb of memory. Will 1Gb make a difference to the computers performance?

Jester2K II 13:19 22 Jul 03

What verison of Windows??

xania 13:20 22 Jul 03

One of the maxims of IT is that you can never hae enough memory. So if you can afford it, go for it. I disagree. You don't say what you are doing with your PC and with what OS, so let's think basic. It is a know fact that Windows does not release unnecessary memory and needs to be helped out. There is plenty out there on the web to help ger better use out of your existing memory (see click here or click here or click here
to name but a few.

Find out if you are using all you have before going for more, and, if your PC is not running too slow, I would leave well alone.

xania 13:20 22 Jul 03

One of the maxims of IT is that you can never hae enough memory. So if you can afford it, go for it. I disagree. You don't say what you are doing with your PC and with what OS, so let's think basic. It is a know fact that Windows does not release unnecessary memory and needs to be helped out. There is plenty out there on the web to help ger better use out of your existing memory (see click here or click here or click here
to name but a few.

Find out if you are using all you have before going for more, and, if your PC is not running too slow, I would leave well alone.

Peverelli 13:56 22 Jul 03

Windows 98 doesn't like more than 512Mb RAM. xania is right to say it depends on what you use your computer for. If it's just surfing and word processing then it may not be worth the bother. If it's for music, games, video editing etc. then you will certainly notice the difference, assuming you have a reasonably fast cpu.

Tattooeddude 16:22 22 Jul 03

Hi!
Thanks for the replies. I'm using Windows XP. I'm using the computer for games.

Peverelli 00:28 23 Jul 03

Go for it then. As time goes on, games will get more and more memory hungry so it'll be a decent investment.

Tattooeddude 01:41 23 Jul 03

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will buy upgrade the memory

Jester2K II 08:35 23 Jul 03

Recent report says 1 Gb is optimium amount of memory for XP.Someone posted a link here but i can't find it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…