Memory question

Totally-braindead 20:48 03 Apr 04

Can someone explain in not too technical language please what the difference is between different memorys. I don't mean SDRAM, DDRRAM etc or even the speeds PC100, PC2100 etc I think I have the idea about that. Its the incompatability problem I'm curious about. Now you get different paritys CL 2.5 for example and I think this is what causes most of the problems with memory( providing you've bought the right type I mean). Can someone explain what the parity actually is and why it won't work with certain systems but will work with others. And why do we need different paritys anyway. Is there some sort of performance boost by using one parity over another?

GaT7 22:26 03 Apr 04

Basically it's for memory error checking (or lack of it - non-parity).

Something to start you off...

"Error Checking

In order to ensure that memory is working correctly, data integrity, there are two primary means - parity and error correction code (ECC) or no checking at all - non-parity.

Parity:
This is the most common used method. It can detect errors, but not correct them.

ECC (Error Correction Code):
ECC can detect and correct single-bit errors. It is used in high-end PC's and servers.

Non-Parity:
Because there has been an increased quality of memory components and an infrequency of errors, more and more manufacturers do no include error checking capabilities. This also lowers the cost of the PC."

Source: click here

hugh-265156 02:25 04 Apr 04

us normal users dont need error checking as we dont have servers running 24/7 with critical data on them.

the same goes for timings,only worry about this if you want to overclock and squeeze every last drop of performance out of your system and your wallet(even the fastest timings make very very little difference and most of us would not even notice)

when purchasing memory these are the folks to get it from click here use the wizard to ensure you get the correct type for you motherboard.

Totally-braindead 17:42 04 Apr 04

Thanks guys, I know what memory my computer uses and how to find out what sort of memory I need I just wanted to know what this parity thing was. A clear easy to understand description of what it is, thank you both.

bremner 18:01 04 Apr 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…