Memory question

Fateful Shadow 10:15 01 Sep 03

Firstly, I'd like to say that Crucial are fantastic! I know that phrase gets passed around a lot on this site, but it's damn true!

Now for the question...I just installed another 256MB of RAM into my spare slot, boosting me to 512MB RAM. The computer started ok, I logged on ok, but when I went to check the amount of RAM by going to system properties, it would take ages to load! If I do it now, it appears really fast.

This too occured with two programs I opened for the first time after installing the new RAM card.

Is this normal? Is the computer just 'getting used' to the new memory?

Fateful Shadow 15:15 01 Sep 03

Refresh

Fateful Shadow 15:45 01 Sep 03

I can't be the only one in here who's upgraded their RAM! Someone must have an answer!

:)

citadel 18:21 01 Sep 03

When I added more ram it showed up on the start up screen as ram at rimms 0-1-2-3 with the correct ammount. The computer speeded up in all departments. Most improvement was in games.

Jomi 19:11 01 Sep 03

Your question isn't really clear, did your system properties take ages to load before or after the RAM installation? It would be normal to expect your system to speed up when installing extra RAM partly because your system will use file swapping less and because the extra memory can handle more 'background' programs simultaneously.

It isn't always the case that additional RAM will speed up your pc, once you have enough for all your programs, adding more will not improve anything. How much is enough? depends on the type and number of programs you use.

hope that helps.

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…