Memory Puzzle

Charlie Babbage 11:12 15 Apr 06

My friend's computer had 96MB memory installed. I then found a memory stick from another old computer which stated it was 128 MB. I installed the stick into the spare memory slot but dxdiag only shows 112 MB installed, not
96 + 128 = 224 MB.

I realise that there could be several reasons for this but am not sure which one is applicable:

1. The motherboard may not support this amount of additional memory. I'm not sure what motherboard is installed! Is there anyway to find out, apart from examinining the board.

2. The additional memory stick may be faulty as it came from an old computer.

3. I may need to do something (what?) to get the computer to recognise the additional memory.

The computer is running under Windows ME and has an AMD Duron Processor MMX 750 MHz.

TIA

Totally-braindead 12:21 15 Apr 06

Download Everest or SIW to identify the motherboard and then go to the manufacturers website and see what memory is supported. Alternatively go to Crucial and "Scan My System" this should identify the motherboard and also tell you what it can take. Crucial click here SIW click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…