Memory problems

Falk 18:54 02 Jun 05

Hi Im trying to troubleshoot an error Im having, any help would be most appreciated. Im running XP Home, AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB Ram and a Radeon 9800 128mb.

The problem occurs when gaming, I first noticed it on World of Warcraft. At seemingly random times I crash and get an "Error 132 access violation". It began happening very often to the point that the game was crashing every five minutes, however on occasion I can play for a few hours without a crash. I thought it was something server side however I am also now crashing on Battlefield Vietnam at random times and on Counterstrike Source which says "Memory could not be read".

I have reinstalled all three games, re-patched, updated video and audio drivers, ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool which found 0 errors with my RAM and tried various graphics and sound settings and all seemed to have made no difference and Im not sure what to do next.

Thanks in advance.

Technotiger 18:57 02 Jun 05

Hi, perhaps worth having a look through these -

click here

Cheers.

dagwoood 19:48 02 Jun 05

A few suggestions.

Firstly, what size is your page file? I know you have a sufficient amount of RAM, but XP will still use the page file. It's advisable to set your Page File to 2GB(i.e.twice the amount of RAM on your system).

You don't mention what motherboard you have. If it has an Nforce2 chipset, these can be temperamental with regards to memory speeds.

Also, do you have a large amount of services running in the background? 1 Gig of RAM shouldn't be swallowed up by background processes, but if you have a lot, it may account for the error.

Have you scanned your system for virus's and malware? These can also use up RAM.

HTH, dagwoood.

Falk 21:10 02 Jun 05

Thanks for the responses and link.

Dagwoood - Im not too sure how to check what motherboard I have or size of page file, sorry about that but if someone was able to give me instructions about how too I will post the information.

I dont have any serivces running in the background and I have done a full system scan with fully updated AVG Free Edition, Spybot, Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft Antispyware and all said my system was clean. I also have Spyware Blaster which hasnt spotted anything.

Technotiger 21:12 02 Jun 05

Hi, download and run this - it will tell you all about the inside of your pc.

click here

Technotiger 21:13 02 Jun 05

ps - I would suggest you print out the results from Belarc.

Falk 22:23 02 Jun 05

Running the risk of sounding like an idiot..what information do you need from? I couldnt see the chipset information on there.

Falk 23:19 02 Jun 05

Well if this helps I think my board is VA-20 chipset VIA KM400A and page file is set at 2.4GB I think

Falk 00:33 03 Jun 05

Ive read somewhere that there is a stability issue between some VIA chipsets and certain type of ram I think ddr-400..could this be a potential cause?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…