Is this a memory problem and can it be fixed?

rickus 10:58 03 Sep 07

I opened a thread a couple of weeks ago because my PC was not booting up first time and I now have information that indicates that it is memory related.

Summary

Most times the PC does not boot up first time. i.e. Fan and Hard Disk start but no beep. I then turn it off and try again - it has taken up to 7 attempts to get it to boot. NB Te problem persists after shutdown and power off.

I have twice managed to temporarily clear the problem (and noticed quicker performance and faster shutdown - see below) but each time it has reverted to being problematical after a couple of sessions.

There are 2 memory slots but only 1 stick of memory. The way the problem has been temporarily cleared:
1 Take out, dust down memory stick and re-insert in same slot
2 Take out memory stick and put in second slot.

I infer from this that one of these things is true:
- the memory stick is faulty
- something is corrupting the memory stick
- there is another problem that is cleared by removing and reinserting the memory stick.

I mentioned earlier that the PC does not shut down efficiently - I usually have to shut it down via the task manager as the normal shut down window takes ages to appear and it usually hangs when it comes to the windows is shutting down screen - and I end up hitting the restart button and powering off before it restarts or just turning it off at the mains. Could those actions be the cause of the problem?

Graham. 11:17 03 Sep 07

Any clues in Event Viewer?

rickus 13:09 03 Sep 07

Thank you for the replies

Event Viewer
There seemed to be some regular errors but nothing that looked like it related to these problems.

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Have run this and it did not report any errors even after the detailed test BUT
It has shutdown properly, restarted first time and things are running more quickly i.e. the same as after I removed the memory stick. Wonder if it will last for long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…