Memory prob - on new Acer laptop. help please

bof:) 17:52 06 Feb 09

Hi all, I have a new laptop, its an Acer Aspire 5920 model no: ZD1. Running Windows Vista. SP1

Whilst typing an email, I got a message that said something like 'Not enough memory, backup all work being done and restart pc'.

The laptop is supposed to have 3GB of memory, how do I check this out?

I've noticed that in msconfig, 'start up' there are a lot of program's running, some of them have Acer in their pathway, I assume these have to be left alone.

Others have Nvidia which I assume is my video card.

How do I check out which of these really need to be running? Apart from My virus checker, firewall and malware checkers.

many thanks,

Mike

alB 17:57 06 Feb 09

download and run this small prog it will tell you all you need to know, it's standalone so doesn't need installing ...alB
click here

mooly 18:01 06 Feb 09

3gb is plenty. If you click control panel and system that should show the RAM seen by the operating system. A new PC shouldn't show anything like yours. Could it be a software conflict, notice you mention virus checkers and so on. How many have you got running ?

bof:) 18:18 06 Feb 09

Hi alB I'll try downloading the program the link you gave later.

mooly, I'm using Avast (free version)for my Antivirus checker.

I have set up to run 'on demand' not at start up the following program's:

A-Squared
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
SuperAnti Spyware
WinPatrol

I hope this helps, thank you for your help it's very much appreciated,

Mike

bof:) 19:19 06 Feb 09

I've just run Belarc and it says I have the following in the memory slots in laptop:
M1 2048MB
M2 1024MB

So, it seems that it has enough memory, so why did I get the 'not enough memory' message?

I'll try and work out whats running at start up.
Does anyone know of a free program that will tell you whats running on my laptop at start up?

Mike

MAT ALAN 19:27 06 Feb 09

Was that the exact error message "not enough memory"

May be to do with your virtual memory settings (page file)...

click here

alB 19:29 06 Feb 09

click here ...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…