Memory & Performance Managers

Richard Madeley 13:27 16 Feb 03

When I first turn on my P.C right clicking on My Computer and the the Performance tab shows 80% free system resources. As I use it over time this goes down to about 67% even if I close all the applications I've opened since start up. Surely it should go back to 80%? Everything then takes longer to load, windows ponder opening for while etc.

Do things stay resident in memory even when not used and don't clear until reboot? Is the Swap File anything to do with it or Virtual Memory?

I had a program called Ram Cleaner that recovered ram (naturally) on request. Are these things any good? Am I using the right thing?

Can anyone recommend downloads for improving performance?

Richard Madeley 15:57 16 Feb 03

I found something called Ram Booster in the downloads section. Anyone else used this?

MikeJ101 23:26 10 Mar 03

Hi Richard - Try a little program called Cacheman
click here

It seems to work quite well - give it a go

powerless 23:31 10 Mar 03

How much memory do you have?

Stokey 23:33 10 Mar 03

Yes, I have used RamBooster for well over a year now. Although most people seem to prefer Chacheman it didn't seem to make any difference to me. I've tried most of them I think and RamBooster is the only one that has worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…