memory or faster processor

simongy 14:33 08 Nov 03

I would like to make my pc go better: however I am strapped for cash. Would you recommend more memory or a faster processor?
At the moment its got 128mb ram and 800mhz processor. Its takes 3 mins from switching on to the h/d going quiet before everything is loaded onto desktop. Are there any cheap solutions.
thanks in advance

bruno 14:39 08 Nov 03

It may be better to see which unnecessary items you have running at start up.I had a 300Mhz processor with 64Mb memory which started in half that time.

recap 14:40 08 Nov 03

You would first need to look at your Motherboard spec's to see the highest processor that it is capable of taking before deciding on a processor upgrade.

Like you say you are "strapped for cash" so the cheapest option her is more RAM, click here for one of the best if not the best suppliers around and one that give 100% guarantee of their product.

recap 14:41 08 Nov 03

That should say "the cheapest option herE"

Djohn 14:41 08 Nov 03

Which O/S are you using? 3 mins. does seem slow and I don't think that either memory or processor will improve the start-up by much if anything.

Also do you know how many programs are opening on boot up? j.

rowdy 14:41 08 Nov 03

Make sure you are getting the best out of what you have.

Try a good read here,if you do not get the speed you need then at least you will have an understanding of what is possible.

click here

rowdy

Rtus 14:43 08 Nov 03

Id go with Bruno on this I too have a Intel 700 that simple whizzes along compared to a mates 2.4 Amd unit ,however the difference is it hasnt got anywhere near as much loaded at start-up...It can make a big difference & cheap at twice the price.....

simongy 14:45 08 Nov 03

win 2000 pro, office xp, how do i know what programs are running on startup?? how do I change them? which ones MUST be running??

Legolas 14:58 08 Nov 03

Go to start/run and type msconfig click on the 'startup' tab and select what apps you want to run at startup. I would leave anything that mentions system although trial and error is the best way.

woodchip 15:01 08 Nov 03

That's a slow boot time it used to take less than a minute for my old P60 to boot in 1996

Gongoozler 15:27 08 Nov 03

Windows 2000 doesn't have msconfig. You can use the Windows98 or ME msconfig click here, or a substitute click here. I think 128M ram is a bit on the low side. Microsoft say that 68M is the minimum click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…