Memory not recognised

pipeman41 21:19 02 Jan 04

I have just added 128mb memory to my vaio pcg-F801A lap top computer it has 64mb chip in one bay I put the 128mb in the other. The problem I have is the 128mb chip only gets recognised as 64mb whether it is in either bay or on its own
or together with the original 64mb chip I have taken chip back to shop and they have given me a replacement, but still the same, so I know the memory is ok, according to my book work the computer should be upgradeable to 256mb
Has anybody any idea's ---- Thanks

rent-a-cop 21:21 02 Jan 04

Could this be that the memory has to be fitted in pairs of the same capacity? just a guess but I think some memory behaves this way.

pipeman41 21:28 02 Jan 04

Hi if I put the 128mb chip in on its own it still only register's 64mb thanks for help anyway

DieSse 23:00 02 Jan 04

You have the wrong type of RAM.

Older motherboards cannot address the full capacity of newer RAM modules, as they are short of an addressing line. Thus you see only half the capacity of the module.

You need what is commonly termed a "double-sided" RAM module. I have had exactly this problem with such a system, and it is a common problem with sytems around three years old, and more.

You must get the correct type of module - the easy way to ensure this is to get one specifically sold to upgrade your particular system, or buy from a manufacturer such as Crucila, who will guarantee to get you the correct type of module.

DieSse 23:02 02 Jan 04

or Crucial - even !

VoG II 23:03 02 Jan 04

Sounds interesting!

pipeman41 16:37 04 Jan 04

Thanks very much you are right new memory has chips on one side only thats sorted me out --cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…