Memory Management

Michendi 19:07 10 Dec 04

Environment : XP Pro SP2 / 1gb RAM

As is normal if a system has been running a number of applications and has had several hours of work the "Available" memory decreases as expected. But if work on the system stops and all applications are closed the "Available" memory only increases marginally. The only way that I have found to release the memory is to Restart.

I know that there are 3rd-party memory managers but, I am reluctant to install yet another memory-resident utility (afterall the OS should be managing the memory.)

Question(s): is there a proven, safe, quick and managed way of clearing out the memory without having to Restart? And can this be done without having to close down running applications? In other words is there a method that can be deployed to clear out the garbage from memory without upsetting the OS or the applications?

Thanks

alnwrd 19:34 10 Dec 04

Presumably you haver run msconfig and services.msc to ensure that only necessary programs are loaded into memory on startup.

A good site for getting info on services.msc is black viper

JFT 20:00 10 Dec 04

Cacheman click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…