Memory Issue

mark3986 21:48 16 Oct 10

Hi Ive just noticed on my computer page its says Installed memory (RAM) 4.0Gb (2.75GB Usable).wots that (2.75GB Usable) mean and how can i fix it so my laptop is using 4.0Gb thanks!

northumbria61 23:17 16 Oct 10

Running Windows 32 bit system ? Read here click here

chub_tor 08:34 17 Oct 10

Because of the limitations imposed on 32 bit systems referred to by northumbria61 and the fact that your laptop graphics will also use some of your RAM you will not see 4Gb useable on your laptop. You might be able to improve on your figure of 2.75Gb if you upgrade to the 64 bit version of Windows, but that would mean having to buy a new Operating System.

If your laptop is operating correctly with no errors, runs all its programmes correctly, you can connect to the internet OK then you have no major reason to go to the extra expense and hassle of buying and installing a 64 bit OS and that is assuming of course that your laptop processor itself is 64 bit and thus capable of running a 64 bit OS.

By having 4Gb installed you at least can be sure that your machine is operating as best it can with a 32 bit OS.

mark3986 19:13 17 Oct 10

ive got a windows 7 64bit disk here but how would i get my computer to how it is now but 64 bit thanks

GaT7 19:31 17 Oct 10

You will have to install the 64-bit version afresh.

Don't forget to do a thorough backup if required before attempting it. Then you'll need to restore your data once it's installed & running well.

Do you really want to go through all the trouble?

Also, as you have a 64-bit Win7 disc I'm assuming you have a retail version of Win7 - the box contains both 32 & 64-bit discs. Is this correct?

mark3986 21:32 17 Oct 10

yes I do mate Ive heard the 64 bit is faster than the 32 and it makes your computer work better how would i back it all up ? any specfic programme and how would i restore it ? thanks cos Ive tried doing it through windows back up and restore about a month ago backed everything up then tried restoring it through windows 7 64 bit bit it kept saying a certain file wasnt there so i gave up.Thanks

GaT7 17:01 18 Oct 10

The safest & best (but not necessarily the easiest) way to back up & restore is to do it all manually. Like you, I found out the tough way too when a the inbuilt Windows backup & restore feature went wrong.

What you will basically have to do at first is to copy & paste all your data to another hard drive or partition. Or, if these are not available, burn it all to blank media. Do you know where you have all your data: personal files, photos, music, videos, programs, downloads, etc, etc? Do you know where your emails are (i.e. if you choose to download them to your hard drive each time)? What email client do you use? Certain installed programs have 'user profiles', which may be important to you - these will need backing-up too. You'll also need to make a note of all your installed third-party programs.

Once the above is done, reformat (the OS partition only) & install 64-bit afresh. Then, once the fresh install is completed, you can begin restoring all your data. Again, this is done manually by copying & pasting everything back to their original locations. Some things, like email messages may need to be 'imported' into its email client. Profiles will need to be restored, & you'll have to reinstall all your third-party programs from scratch.

So you see, it's a long drawn out process that involves a lot of time & effort. There's also the risk you might forget to back-up something important. For these reasons chub_tor suggested to leave it as it is, & I asked if you really wanted to do it!

There is a slightly easier way to do the above, & that is by backing up the ENTIRE Win7 32-bit partition by cloning or copying & pasting its contents to another hard drive or partition - this way you can ensure that everything has been backed-up. But restoring it all will be just as mentioned before - unfortunately there's no easy way out of it. G

mark3986 21:05 18 Oct 10

ok il have to do some research and hopefully some other people will come up with answers and help thanks

GaT7 21:16 18 Oct 10

'You will have to install the 64-bit version afresh.'

As I said before, & emphasise this time, it's the ONLY way to move from a 32-bit to 64-bit install (or vice versa).

If anyone knows an alternative method, they should win the Noble Prize for Computing. Only kidding of course :-)), G

mark3986 21:35 18 Oct 10

I Know that mate i was just wondering weather anybody knows a programme that could back up or copy my harddrive how it is now so i can install windows 7 64bit.then restore everything

chub_tor 12:25 19 Oct 10

There is a large number of disk copying software (cloning) programmes available and click here is one that you could use.

So your choices are 1) buy an external drive and clone your existing system to that then wipe your existing hard drive and install the 64 bit version on that or 2) Partition your existing drive using something like this click here and install your 64bit version of Windows 7 on that. Change the boot order so that you boot into the new partition and try it out. If you prefer it you can move all your data over and eventually wipe the old 32 bit version and make it one large partition again.

Personally I would clone to an external drive, but then I have several old hard drives knocking around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…